New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Heading over to the Off-Topic section of that popular CPA forum to ask about methanol injection on an N55....

OP, as the 3 CPAs have said, the best you can hope for on this forum as a solid take-away is "it depends on your specific situation." Seriously, it's a 10 minute exercise for any tax accountant.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      01-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Heading over to the Off-Topic section of that popular CPA forum to ask about methanol injection on an N55....

OP, as the 3 CPAs have said, the best you can hope for on this forum as a solid take-away is "it depends on your specific situation." Seriously, it's a 10 minute exercise for any tax accountant.
I just use turbo tax CPAs are expensive. They also have live CPAs for a reasonable fee.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What is wrong about this?
Free federal loan on money HE made?? In my book, that's WRONG, especially since OP is asking about how many deductions to take.

Wait, is this about that darn sarcasm font, AGAIN????
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

This made me chuckle. I probably laughed harder than I should have. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I just use turbo tax CPAs are expensive. They also have live CPAs for a reasonable fee.
I know a couple of CPA's who do turbotax work. Just a reminder that the CPA who scored a 75 on all 4 parts of the exam and took 8 years to pass, barely understands normal CR/DR balances for F/S's, and has never heard of the index match function on excel is still called a CPA. Those that work for turbotax are the bottom of the barrel. Use at your own risk.
      01-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
I'm in the process of buying my first home and I'm told it's a common practice for people to claim more allowances on their W-4. The idea sounds simple enough, get a larger paycheck and come tax time the mortgage interest and property tax deductions would even out the tax bill.

Has anyone from CA actually done this? If so, mind if I ask how many allowances you put on your W-4? Short of talking to a CPA, the figure I'm crunching out is a whopping 8 allowances!

For reference, my budget is well below the 750k loan cap for the mortgage interest deduction. The property taxes in the area I'm looking at are also below the $10k cap.
Yes, do it. I have done so for nearly 30 years. Work with an accountant to calculate the number of allowances you need to break even with the government on April 15 each year. It avoids Uncle Sam holding your money more than he needs to. You want to hold your money.

State of residence does not matter if the question relates to Federal taxes.

I claimed a significantly higher number of deductions than there were humans in my household. Ignore any raised eyebrows from your HR or payroll departments, just tell them to process the paperwork.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #28
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:

My taxes are a bit too complex for turbo tax, but back when they were simple I sure used it. I miss those days!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      01-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #29
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
My taxes are a bit too complex for turbo tax, but back when they were simple I sure used it. I miss those days!
Turbotax to do your taxes?

Turbotax CPA consults?
      01-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #30
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I just use turbo tax and they have all my past returns. Beyond my house I have investments in stock which my broker takes care of the tax forms for and the data just transfers to turbo tax. I have almost no paper work and my taxes aren't that straightforward. Haven't had to use the CPA service this far.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #31
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Can’t you rough out your expected tax bill using tax tables and the use that info to try to get your deductions close enough to cover your high estimate (like everyone who has to make estimated payments)? That’s a middle ground between asking people here and paying for a CPA, who will basically (hopefully) do the same thing.
      01-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #32
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Interestingly, there is a new W-4 for 2020 that does away with the allowances of old.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
      01-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Just another perspective:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin.../#287a49497160
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      01-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Interesting piece. I'm not surprised. Glad I have all of that stuff behind me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #35
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
That’s a middle ground between asking people here and paying for a CPA, who will basically (hopefully) do the same thing.
The best middle ground is to pay ~$20 for H&R Block, Turbo Tax, etc. software and run through the whole program yourself first. This will take into account more than just mortgage deductions, etc. and give you a better picture as to where you'll likely end up come April given an array of different variables.

Of course a great CPA is invaluable, as is a great mechanic; but at the end of the day I'll always choose to have a good understanding on practical topics FIRST before just carelessly handing off my problem to an "expert"...nothing wrong with educating yourself on a subject that will obviously require at least some critical thinking on more than one occasion in the future as well.

What's the worst that could happen...you learn something new? lulz
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #36
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
The best middle ground is to pay ~$20 for H&R Block, Turbo Tax, etc. software and run through the whole program yourself first. This will take into account more than just mortgage deductions, etc. and give you a better picture as to where you'll likely end up come April given an array of different variables.

Of course a great CPA is invaluable, as is a great mechanic; but at the end of the day I'll always choose to have a good understanding on practical topics FIRST before just carelessly handing off my problem to an "expert"...nothing wrong with educating yourself on a subject that will obviously require at least some critical thinking on more than one occasion in the future as well.

What's the worst that could happen...you learn something new? lulz
You should be able to do the same thing in Excel, perhaps by referencing an IRS tax publication or two (which are actually pretty well written). But yeah, same concept - it can be figured out.
      05-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #37
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I only pay about 8k in Mortgage interest, 7k in property taxes.

I can't find more than 25.1k deductions (married filing jointly) so standard deduction it was for me.

Paid more under new tax changes than I did before.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #38
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
I'm in the process of buying my first home and I'm told it's a common practice for people to claim more allowances on their W-4. The idea sounds simple enough, get a larger paycheck and come tax time the mortgage interest and property tax deductions would even out the tax bill.

Has anyone from CA actually done this? If so, mind if I ask how many allowances you put on your W-4? Short of talking to a CPA, the figure I'm crunching out is a whopping 8 allowances!

For reference, my budget is well below the 750k loan cap for the mortgage interest deduction. The property taxes in the area I'm looking at are also below the $10k cap.
capt_slow Yes, do this. Reduce your Federal withholding. State (CA) does not matter.

It’s better for you to have your money than for the govt to make money on your money, aka the “float”. You should make money on your money. Plus you need the cash to pay the mortgage.

Do what you want. It gets squared up at tax return time.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #39
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hopefully OP figured this out already long ago.
chassis6373.50