New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #155
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadonchez View Post
Still trying to found answer about the possibility to put 4 spot brembo caliper from F30 M sport car on my Z4 35is 348x30 rotors

Idea is to keep unsprung mass as low as possible but improve calipers.

From what I can read from realoem, 4 spot F30 caliper are 1.5kg lighter than Z4 35is one spot oem caliper.
Add some ECStuning lightweight rotor wich add 1.2kg gain per side and i could expect to gain up to 2.5kg of unsprung weight per side!!
That could make a difference in ride quality.

Please if someone has the answer, let me know.
No, that is not possible unless you make custom brackets. But it is also pretty hard to make custom brackets on these F calipers due to very little space.
So in general, no. However, you can get the 370mm version F calipers and install the 370mm rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:52 PM   #156
Steve Jarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW M550i, 911 Turbo

I thought I would add this information. I saw people adding front rotors/calipers without a rear upgrades and worried about the brake bias implications. I've done in excess of 10,000 track miles with half of those in a heavily modified MKIV Supra. I went through several brake configurations over the years and have a basic understanding of some of the pitfalls. Adding larger rotors and pads help with heat management and rotor/pad life, but adding more front brake bias is not good. You spend a meaningful amount time at less than 100% braking (trail braking) and this puts a greater load on the front brakes and reduces rear brake pressure. This uses less of the rear tire contact patch and can actually lengthen stopping distances. In most cases you want to add more rear bias to reduce stopping distances. Because of this, I decided to run some basic calculations to understand the impact of the BMW 135 front brake "upgrade" used by many. Don't get to caught up in the actual numbers as I used some basic assumptions for the pedal ratio, master cylinder piston diameter and resulting line pressure. The differences are more important. The good news is though the 135 front brakes have larger diameter rotors (more leverage) and visually larger caliper, the actual brake torque is less than the stock 35i front brakes. This means 135 front brakes and 35i rear brake are a nice street setup with the ability to dissipate more heat than the stock brakes and still have good brake balance. Using the 135 front brakes with the stock 35is rear brakes actually keeps the bias almost identical to the stock 135 and Z4 35is setup. Please let me know if I have any of the specifications for the rotor or piston diameters incorrect and I will update the sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brake Comparison Z4.pdf (21.4 KB, 20 views)
Appreciate 2
B21136.50
Tangent296.00
      03-26-2024, 12:23 PM   #157
sangers
Rep
Drives: z4

Hi all. Sorry if this has been mentioned , I couldn’t find it in this thread. Has anyone tried fitting M240i brake calipers? Are they the same as M235i?
Appreciate 0