New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
Jackish
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW GT

Beginner looking for the best bang for you buck BMX Complete Bike? Look no further.

So to start, I thouroughly research every single product I buy online via reviews and places like forums or Reddit. I'll even vet a $10 ethernet cable to make sure my money is well spent. Bikes are no different. This post is based off the feedback I got here on Reddit for my BMX and my newly purchased mountain bike (pulled the trigger yesterday.)

Overall, I have nearly 10 years experience on bikes and BMX bikes in particular. In the early 2010's I had a fully custom built (replacing parts that broke with top of the line as they broke) likely $2000 bike. Freecoaster, Sunday Frame, Odyssey and G Sport everything. Needless to say I knew a lot about specific components and how they would complement eachother. A couple years later my skater and BMX friends stopped shredding so much and it wore on my after awhile. So I sold my bike and took about 3 years off any sort of bike. Fast forward to about a year ago, I reached out to this community for the best bang for you buck BMX bike on the market and oh my how the market has shifted. In the early 2010's Fit was just about the best you could get for the money. $600 would get you an entry level complete with like 90% chromoly and solid parts all around.

When I asked for advice I expected something similar. If you don't know there's a few major points to look into on an entry level bike that will progress with you (beside your skills) and still hold up to the wear and tear a beginner puts on a bike.

- As much Chromoly steel as you can get. Much more durable and well machined that Hi Tens Steel

- Double walled rims (particularly for street riding where you aren't landing in a transition)

- 3pc/Durable Cranks

- Sealed Front and Back Hubs

- Female Front Axle

TLDR:

I ranted on pretty hard there. But I'm aiming on this being for beginners who search google for advice and stumble upon this post.

The Mongoose Legion L100 is the best value I've ever seen in 10+ years and nothing comes close.

I got the suggestion from Reddit and was apprehensive since Mongoose has become a walmart brand over the years. But Holy SHIT this bike is amazing for the price. I got mine for $275 on sale via Amazon and it is jam packed full of features that make this bike worth probably double what I paid.

Full Chromoly everything. Pretty much both hubs sealed, double wall rims and not quite 3pc cranks https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/ , but damn near close enough. In the early 2010's the commonly recommended Fit bikes that were commonly recommended cost close to $600 and the specs still weren't as good as this Mongoose. Keep an eye out and you'll find it on Amazon via prime delivery for under $300.

In my prime I was dropping 12 stairs, 3'ing 6 stairs, throwing barspins, tuck no handers, no footed cans and half cabbing 8 sets.

All this to say that I wanted to give a very thorough blessing for this Mongoose and it's ridiculous value per dollar. I'm very rough on BMX bikes and so long as this bike is properly tuned, it doesn't flinch. The only thing I haven't tried is a set of pegs. But the female front axle adds a lot of strength. This is however the one area I'm a bit apprehensive of the bike for a beginner.

If anyone has read this far and is curious about my first MTB. I copped a 27.5 Vitus Nucleus VR. A direct to consumer company that retails around $650 USD and contends with bikes closer to the $1000 price point from the big box retailers. Again due to my research on reddit. Checkout r/mtb for more info. I'm really hyped to combine hiking with BMX.

No affiliation with anything in this post. Just through an indepth write up to justify how highly recommended the Legion 100 from an experienced rider that puts a BMX through it's paces and has broken just about every part on a low end bike.

Cheers,

Hope you get some value out of this
Appreciate 0