New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
FrankProps
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 S35I

Oil catch can best options

I have 2016 z4 335i. What's the best oil catch cans that will fit the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

oil catch cans are rather universal. So all n54 oil catch cans should fit.
I personally would look towards BMS( burger motorsports) oil catch cans. They have a wide variety of catch cans on offer... starting from 150 usd products up to dual systems that cost 400 usd. I would shoot them an email and make my purchase based on their recommendations.

https://burgertuning.com/search?type...=oil+catch+can

I personally havent fitted one to my car... In my area i can get my intake valves cleaned for 500 eur. So i would rather do that service again when needed. If i was going to get a catch can i probably would not buy a cheap one.. so with shipping and import tax from the states it would cost me the same as a valve cleaning service. Seemed not worth it. Rather keep my money for the service job.
And guys in the states have an easy walnut blasting to use. In my country nobody offers walnut blasting. One shop told me its just expensive and too big of a hassle to import blasting material. So they actually do this work by hand.
Found a talented guy who usually worked on a lot of Audis (they have same intake valve buildup issue) and he did the service. So when time comes to do it again i will just bring my car to him again. Oil catch can wont save you from that job completely, it just lengthens the time/ mileage between the services. In the end some day you still have to do valve cleaning service.

Last edited by KennyP; 04-19-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

What eliminates the problem completely is meth injection kit... that would always wash your intake valves clean like fuel in port injection engines. And if you are into tuning would increase power aswell. So that would be the end-all solution for the carbon buildup problem.
      04-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
FrankProps
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 S35I

Cool info. I figured a catch can would be universal for n54, I contacted burger. Meth is a interesting solution... I have 38k miles and was surprised I needed to change plugs and coils.but I guess that's racing... I would be interested in keeping it stock with good maintenance solutions.. I grew up in Detroit so turbos and BMW is new to me . Kick ass lol car thought
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #5
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankProps View Post
I needed to change plugs and coils.but I guess that's racing...
No that's just these motors - has nothing to do with how they accumulate the mileage. They are maintenance items.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 03:20 AM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Yes i have changed plugs and coils awell... i have changed plugs 3 times and coils once and i dont drive much. With coils dont get bosch and go for eldor or delphi. Eldor is newest and best. i have delphi coils on mine.
Also on first two times i changed sparkplugs i used oem bosch plugs... they dont really last long... last time i went with N55 oem iridium plugs that are one step colder. And they have been great. Colder plugs are usually recommended for cars with stage 2 and up tunes with downpipes and intercoolers, but they work fine with simple stage 1 remap on stock car aswell. For totally stock with no remap im not sure... i havent tried uninstalling cobb from my car.. always been on stage 1.

I remember reading somewhere that its recommened to replace coils every other sparkplug change to be worryfree. Thats maybe bit too excessive IMO.

Last edited by KennyP; 04-21-2021 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0