New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Question Disconnecting Battery

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to rectify my drivers seat not heating so need to remove the seat to gain access to the module. I've read on the E85/86 forum that the battery requires to be disconnected so I'm assuming it does on the E89 as well, as I don't have any fancy electronic gadgetry am I going to have problems reconnecting the battery? Or will it just work without a hitch?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

You need nothing more than the wrench (I wanna say 10mm) to disconnect and reconnect it. The only time you need an electronic tool of any kind is when you're registering a new battery. If you're putting the same one back you wouldn't want to do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for that, just what I wanted to hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
DailyGuy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i - Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
You need nothing more than the wrench (I wanna say 10mm) to disconnect and reconnect it. The only time you need an electronic tool of any kind is when you're registering a new battery. If you're putting the same one back you wouldn't want to do that.
I'm getting mixed info on this. Some say dealer needs to install to register it. Ive read a post they their Indy said it's not needed anymore and registration was only needed because BMW was gathering data on non-eom batteries.

My battery has an indicator that is currently green, but my indy (which I'm not sure I trust) said it failed the load test and needs a new battery for $350. Autozone has a battery for $175 that Id like to install IF I actually need it.

I'm a new '09 Z4 35i owner so this is all new to me.
      07-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Batteries def need to be registered. It has nothing to do with collecting data but everything to do with telling the ecu that there's a new battery in board.
Any shop, or you, with the right software can do the registration.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
I'm getting mixed info on this. Some say dealer needs to install to register it. Ive read a post they their Indy said it's not needed anymore and registration was only needed because BMW was gathering data on non-eom batteries.

My battery has an indicator that is currently green, but my indy (which I'm not sure I trust) said it failed the load test and needs a new battery for $350. Autozone has a battery for $175 that Id like to install IF I actually need it.

I'm a new '09 Z4 35i owner so this is all new to me.
Battery registration is absolutely needed if you're replacing the battery. OP didn't need to simply because he was just disconnecting and then reconnecting that same battery. Like jparnes1 said it had nothing to do with collecting info on non-OEM batteries. Our cars actually use different charging profiles depending on battery age, construction (AGM vs Lead acid), and capacity. Part of BMW's Efficient Dynamics system means that unlike traditional battery charging, it tries to avoid putting a load on the alternator while you're cruising and will instead charge at a faster rate every time you coast. Your car develops a map of how the battery takes a charge and as it ages the car will provide more power. Put a brand new battery in with the car using that map and you'll overcharge and damage it. Same for putting a different type or capacity in it; the car might attempt to charge it faster than it can take without damage.

The cheapest way to replace the battery is to pick up the appropriately sized one at your local auto parts store (I got the H6-AGM that you're probably looking at at my local AutoZone for $175 minus $15 with this coupon), and then I used the Carly app ($59 which includes a bunch of cool functions already plus the $10 for the battery registration module) with their adapter which runs about $40. (it won't work with a generic adapter) The nice thing is the app, adapter, and battery registration module are all one-time purchases so the next time you need to replace a battery in a BMW you just need to get the battery. Plus in the mean time you can enjoy coding all kinds of cool features with the app.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:55 AM   #7
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Just buy the battery, take it to a Indy, they probably charge you $10 to code.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
DailyGuy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i - Sea Blue

Thanks for the info.

Another thing I'd like to get your feedback on, as stated above, is that my battery is showing green. No issues starting up. Car is not telling me I need a new battery. But...my indy guy said I need to replace it due to load test failure. What gives?
      07-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
Thanks for the info.

Another thing I'd like to get your feedback on, as stated above, is that my battery is showing green. No issues starting up. Car is not telling me I need a new battery. But...my indy guy said I need to replace it due to load test failure. What gives?
Don't think the std agm battery is fitted with a magic eye if that what green is referring to. Might have the wrong battery fitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

Do it yourself and play with all the other features. Just getting rid of the idiot (legal) screen is worth the price...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:57 AM   #11
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, and update.....

I never did take the battery off for this fault finding back then but I have since and when I came to reconnect it the engine would turn over but not start and I had a multitude of faults come up. As I now have the full Carly with the proper adaptor I decided to try to re-register the battery once that was done everything was back to normal.

So be warned you MAY still need to register your battery if you disconnect it!
I'm not saying that everyone will have to but I did!

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Thanks for posting. I just purchased the mycarly stuff so I would be prepared and also get rid of that legal screen