New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4588
Rep
5,416
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Skateboarding

Does anyone here skateboard?

I haven't touched a board for 20 years but recently got back into it and been having a lot of fun... granted I am kind of old for this activity but i have been getting super bored of my other activity which is running.

Any fun tricks anyone can do?
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi12611.00
      07-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
613
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Just make sure you have those wrists and elbows protected. ... Maybe some cycling pants as well.
Appreciate 2
ASAP4587.50
      07-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
Caravaggio
Major General
2282
Rep
5,242
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

I'm also (getting old) getting bored with running and thought about a skateboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4588
Rep
5,416
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm also (getting old) getting bored with running and thought about a skateboard.
I've learned its all about balance and coordination...decent workout too.

Trying to get basic riding down first.
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 1
Caravaggio2282.00
      07-30-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
Skoidat69's Avatar
United_States
194
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: StL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
after stumbling across what "vintage" skateboards go for, I wish I had gotten my skateboards from my parent's garage before they moved to their condo... Vision Gator and a Powell Peralta Steve Caballero
__________________
No good sea story starts with Cookies and Milk
Appreciate 1
King Rudi12611.00
      07-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
frchdragon
Lieutenant
frchdragon's Avatar
Canada
316
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: 13 335ix MSport
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I just bought a board and protection for my 10 years old. Personally I don't want to put a foot on a board and break some bones.

This is a very cheap "sport" to get into, cheap gear, have fun and post some pictures.
__________________
'85 635csi M30 turbo race car (SOLD)
'13 335ix Msport BM3 stage1 - MAD FMI - FTP CP - Bilstein B4
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
12330
Rep
1,302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

I was watching skateboarding on the olympics the other day.....kind of weird watching the competitor picking his playlist, bobbing his head and then executing his trick dude.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4588
Rep
5,416
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I was watching skateboarding on the olympics the other day.....kind of weird watching the competitor picking his playlist, bobbing his head and then executing his trick dude.
Yea it was a little funny... even wilder was that no one was wearing any protection

With that being said, I did think it was far more fun to watch than Gymnastics or Swimming (which I can only handle 1 round of).
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
3202
Rep
2,154
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

I just gave my old skateboard to a friend for her son since he is getting into skateboarding and she didnt want to spend the big bucks on a nice setup.

When i pulled it out, i jumped on it and immediately ate shit lol

I was able to still do a kickflip and a heelflip though so that was pretty cool. Been probably 10-15 years since ive been on a skateboard.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi12611.00
      07-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
3202
Rep
2,154
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Yea it was a little funny... even wilder was that no one was wearing any protection

With that being said, I did think it was far more fun to watch than Gymnastics or Swimming (which I can only handle 1 round of).
This dude definitely should have been wearing a cup.

__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4588
Rep
5,416
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
This dude definitely should have been wearing a cup.

Oh yea... i saw that... Somehow he got up and was still able to run all of his runs.
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
12611
Rep
1,857
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Does anyone here skateboard?

I haven't touched a board for 20 years but recently got back into it and been having a lot of fun... granted I am kind of old for this activity but i have been getting super bored of my other activity which is running.

Any fun tricks anyone can do?
Not anymore. My eldest son decided he wanted to learn how to skate around 10-12 years ago. For his birthday I got him an element board, indy trucks and I forget what urethane's I put on it. Taught him the basics, and of course in between me showing him foot placement/balance, I bust out a few ollies, kick-flips, pop shove-it's etc. He was amazed that his dad could do this stuff. Fast forward a few weeks, we were having a small skate session, which resulted in me landing on the back of my head. I was concuss and was out most of the remainder of the weekend. And that was the last time I stepped foot on a skateboard.

When I was younger, I remember going to several skateparks to watch some pro's. I remember seeing Bod Boyle and Christian Hosoi, who skated for Santa Cruz at the time. Powell-Peralta did a tour when I was younger and got to see Steve Caballero, Bucky Lasek (I think he was 13 at the time), Frankie Hill and Mike McGill. Tony Hawk was supposed to have been there, but missed due to an injury. Seems like I remember seeing an H-Street crew demo around the time that Shackle Me Not was released.

I truly enjoyed skating and the life-style back then, but now....that concrete feels much different after a face plant. My right knee is still trashed to this day, from the damage taken over the years of driving it into concrete and wooden ramps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We're Americans. Leave your logic and science witchcraft out of this! Jesus and guns are all we need.
Appreciate 1
ASAP4587.50
      07-30-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
3202
Rep
2,154
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Not anymore. My eldest son decided he wanted to learn how to skate around 10-12 years ago. For his birthday I got him an element board, indy trucks and I forget what urethane's I put on it. Taught him the basics, and of course in between me showing him foot placement/balance, I bust out a few ollies, kick-flips, pop shove-it's etc. He was amazed that his dad could do this stuff. Fast forward a few weeks, we were having a small skate session, which resulted in me landing on the back of my head. I was concuss and was out most of the remainder of the weekend. And that was the last time I stepped foot on a skateboard.

When I was younger, I remember going to several skateparks to watch some pro's. I remember seeing Bod Boyle and Christian Hosoi, who skated for Santa Cruz at the time. Powell-Peralta did a tour when I was younger and got to see Steve Caballero, Bucky Lasek (I think he was 13 at the time), Frankie Hill and Mike McGill. Tony Hawk was supposed to have been there, but missed due to an injury. Seems like I remember seeing an H-Street crew demo around the time that Shackle Me Not was released.

I truly enjoyed skating and the life-style back then, but now....that concrete feels much different after a face plant. My right knee is still trashed to this day, from the damage taken over the years of driving it into concrete and wooden ramps.
yeah, as i got older, i realized that all these injuries i was piling up from skating/snowboarding were starting to feel worse and worse. havent done either after my last big crash snowboarding 12 years ago. Something about waking up at the bottom of the landing ramp, blood everywhere and not knowing where you are that changes you
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
ASAP4587.50
King Rudi12611.00
      07-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
12611
Rep
1,857
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
yeah, as i got older, i realized that all these injuries i was piling up from skating/snowboarding were starting to feel worse and worse. havent done either after my last big crash snowboarding 12 years ago. Something about waking up at the bottom of the landing ramp, blood everywhere and not knowing where you are that changes you
This. Exactly this.

The sound of constant roar of urethane against concrete and wood is soothing to me. The flow and the constant manipulation of your body, balance, timing, etc. just seemed so effortless that many years ago. At 44, I struggle to take a drink and not spill it down my chest. Making hard contact with the ground at speed seemed much softer 30 years ago.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We're Americans. Leave your logic and science witchcraft out of this! Jesus and guns are all we need.
Appreciate 2
ASAP4587.50
      08-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #15
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
613
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm also (getting old) getting bored with running and thought about a skateboard.
I quit running 10 years ago so I didn't wear out my knees. Distance cycling is a great way to kill a few hours. If I'm in the city I ride 40-60 miles a week and if I'm in the mountains it's the mountain bike. Although, less single-tracking and mountain downhilling and more trail/bike path riding. Less danger to the collar bones and arms. It's hell getting old... and wise (er).
Appreciate 1
Caravaggio2282.00
      08-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
2502
Rep
2,525
Posts

Drives: E30, F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

The last time I was on a skateboard was around 8 years ago with my ex-girlfriend's son who was about 14 at the time. He bought a board so I got one with him. I was big into skating all through high school and my first couple of years in college. I used to skate with a guy who claimed to be Rodney Mullen's cousin. He was really, really good and had some Mullen-esque qualities about him, so I'll go with it. When my college roommate flunked out I built a small quarter pipe in my dorm room.

I was able to land my usual bag of tricks with my ex's kid; kickflips, heelflips, fakie 180 kickflips. I couldn't quite get my 360 kickflips to go so I settled for some varial kickflips. I went back a few times with him but my knees are pretty shot so I had to give it up for good.

Cool thread!
Appreciate 2
ASAP4587.50
King Rudi12611.00
      08-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4588
Rep
5,416
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
The last time I was on a skateboard was around 8 years ago with my ex-girlfriend's son who was about 14 at the time. He bought a board so I got one with him. I was big into skating all through high school and my first couple of years in college. I used to skate with a guy who claimed to be Rodney Mullen's cousin. He was really, really good and had some Mullen-esque qualities about him, so I'll go with it. When my college roommate flunked out I built a small quarter pipe in my dorm room.

I was able to land my usual bag of tricks with my ex's kid; kickflips, heelflips, fakie 180 kickflips. I couldn't quite get my 360 kickflips to go so I settled for some varial kickflips. I went back a few times with him but my knees are pretty shot so I had to give it up for good.

Cool thread!
Sounds like you were way more advanced than me... I am still perfecting my ollies. Having a hard time gettingn it up high
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
2784
Rep
5,479
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
A skateboarding thread, nice. I'm in my 40's but i skate around. I don't do handrails or stairs anymore as i've got mouths to feed but i can do your kickflips and other tricks ok.
Appreciate 1
ASAP4587.50
      11-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
JonnyB1973
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: E39, F10
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Indianapolis, In

iTrader: (0)

I was a skateboarder 20+ yrs ago, my lady's son wanted to take his bike to the skatepark, so naturally I took my board. The following 2 times the full suspension mountain bike breaking derailer hangers both times lol, then I bought a used BMX (never rode like that before) and was able to keep pace with the 13yro! I pushed him quite a bit, then his buddies bike was a POS so I let him use mine and I was back on the board! it was fun just rolling around and pumping the mini-ramps with the occasional lip action, but I will admit, I was a tad worried about falling on that concrete, gonna be slow to get back up! haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #20
JonnyB1973
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: E39, F10
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Indianapolis, In

iTrader: (0)

Oh and here is a good laugh.

Him and his buddies were making ramps and jumping in the street before I got that BMX. So months later when I brought my own home, naturally I was hitting the sweet jumps too! (and playing in their bunny hop over this competition) 3rd go at the ramp I turned around to pedal hard towards the ramp, chain snapped! I went head first over the bars hitting the bars just above my pelvis leaving a rowdy bruise and knot, jammed thumb from the pavement, and road rash on my shoulder. I landed half on the curb starring straight down a storm drain.

I eventually got up after him making sure I was alive then laughing himself into tears...I hobbled the bike up to the house and tossed it right in the recycling bin and shut the lid for effect. HaHa. (obviously we got it out and kept it)

Being older and hanging with the teenagers is so darn fun.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST