New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35i Atacama Yellow

Evolution Racewerks z4 Front Mount Intercooler

The FedEx man came today and this is what he delivered. Again, great packaging from Evolution Racewerks and a fine product delivered as well. This is the last component to my ER package. I already have the charge pipe and engine cover already installed. I will be installing this unit this coming friday at a local speedshop. As of the moment, I created my own stencil of the ER log and sprayed in on the FMIC. Turned out pretty good.
I am in process of obtaining a Cobb Accessport V3 fine tune after it's installed. I will take more pics after it's installed =) Thanks to the team at ER for taking care of me with quality products!

http://evolutionracewerks.com/node/216
1932524_722806467762909_3011476601303228440_o by mthuynh23, on Flickr
Ease of Installation: (1 Easy, 5 Hard) 2
Key Features:
Large 20"x5.5"x6" (26.5"x5.5"x6" with end tanks) High Density Bar & Plate Construction Intercooler Core
Cast end tanks for improved durability and internal flow characteristics.
Mirror polished finish on intercooler assembly and piping.
Optional Type III Hard Black Anodizing (for stealth) finish on intercooler, end tanks and all piping. Hard anodizing helps improve durability of intercooler fins against damage from road debris (rocks).
Complete all aluminum intercooler piping, replaces all OEM rubber hoses with hard piping for improved throttle response and faster boost spool up.
Impoved intercooler inlet and outlet pipes for better flow characteristics.
Intercooler piping features beaded ends, silicone "hump" hoses and T-bolt clamps to prevent intercooler piping from coming off from boost.
Maintains ALL factory components.
Includes all hardware needed to install.
Developed under the harsh conditions of racing on our 135i Race Car (same engine as Z4).
Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited by MTHuynh23; 04-11-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

It's an easy install. If you can change your wheel, you can do this install. It's that easy. Save some money for more toys. A gripe I had about their kit is the uneven chroming, there were places where it literally lacked chrome. Another gripe is the cheap t-bolt clamp. Maybe I had a few bad ones, but without much force I was able to break the t-bolt, not the steel band but the t-section of the bolt. I had to buy a set of better t-bolts to finish the install.
      03-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKZTT View Post
It's an easy install. If you can change your wheel, you can do this install. It's that easy. Save some money for more toys. A gripe I had about their kit is the uneven chroming, there were places where it literally lacked chrome. Another gripe is the cheap t-bolt clamp. Maybe I had a few bad ones, but without much force I was able to break the t-bolt, not the steel band but the t-section of the bolt. I had to buy a set of better t-bolts to finish the install.
what do i need to remove to achieve this?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

This is the best video on removing the OEM intercooler and installing the new intercooler.

The one in the video is HPF but very similar to the ER. It took me maybe two hours, that's including going out to get new t-bolt clamps because the ones that came with the kit snapped. Nothing more satisfying than working on your car and saving money. Saved $600 in labor and put that towards buying the Cobb AP3.
      03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

I paid $70 to have mine installed at a BMW shop in San Antonio, TX!

I was just feeling lazy that day.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

I agree on the quality of the t bolts on the clamps. I also snapped one.
2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Wow $70 damn where is this dealer at? I am going to the wrong dealer, I was quoted $600 for putting on an aftermarket intercooler, didn't make any sense. So I did it myself.
      03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

No cutting needed to install this right?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for posting that video, DKZTT. It does look pretty straight forward.

Does replacing the charge pipe and diverter valves significantly increase the difficulty, or is it still pretty manageable? I consider myself moderately competent (I can do intakes, pulleys, exhaust work, bumper removal, brakes, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I consider myself moderately competent (I can do intakes, pulleys, exhaust work, bumper removal, brakes, etc.).
If you can do all that, this is a piece of cake.

There is some trimming of the plastic, I call it side pillars on each side where the intercooler would bolt up to, but it was not much trimming. I taped the intercooler and test fitted before trimming. I'll try to take picture later today.

If you are replacing the entire thing, charge pipe and the intercooler at the same time (thats what I did), I would start with the charge pipe first. The hardest thing for me was getting that damn single use clamp on the charge pipe off, there is a crimp along the steel band that you should be able to snap off, unfortunately the crimp on mine as on the bottom side and it was a bitch to take off. I used steel cutting shears to cut that bitch off. If I had to do it all over again, probaby take a rotor zip tool to cut the damn thing off and not worry about the stupid rubber boot (unless you plan on reusing it if you ever want to go back to stock)

All in all the intercooler install took me about two hours, the charge pipe install maybe 45 minutes. Started at 7am and a little after 10 I was doing some runs hearing the BOV was like music to my ears.

Last edited by DKZTT; 03-19-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKZTT View Post
If you can do all that, this is a piece of cake.

There is some trimming of the plastic, I call it side pillars on each side where the intercooler would bolt up to, but it was not much trimming. I taped the intercooler and test fitted before trimming. I'll try to take picture later today.

If you are replacing the entire thing, charge pipe and the intercooler at the same time (thats what I did), I would start with the charge pipe first. The hardest thing for me was getting that damn single use clamp on the charge pipe off, there is a crimp along the steel band that you should be able to snap off, unfortunately the crimp on mine as on the bottom side and it was a bitch to take off. I used steel cutting shears to cut that bitch off. If I had to do it all over again, probaby take a rotor zip tool to cut the damn thing off and not worry about the stupid rubber boot (unless you plan on reusing it if you ever want to go back to stock)

All in all the intercooler install took me about two hours, the charge pipe install maybe 45 minutes. Started at 7am and a little after 10 I was doing some runs hearing the BOV was like music to my ears.
Okay, thanks. Yes, any pics you can share would be great. Sounds like something I could knock out.

Also, I Just noticed you have the aFe sealed intake. How do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Sounds like something I could knock out.
Shoot me an email if you need a hand.

I have done some mild DIY on past cars (fender and headlight replacement, front sway bar install, headers install) and can lend an extra pair of hands if needed
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I Just noticed you have the aFe sealed intake. How do you like it?
I like it, for the upcoming Texas summer the sealed intake will help from heat soak. It sits a little high when I first installed it. It was harder to close the hood. After having it on for a few months, I think it has formed to the underside of the hood and now easier to close the hood.
      03-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Shoot me an email if you need a hand.

I have done some mild DIY on past cars (fender and headlight replacement, front sway bar install, headers install) and can lend an extra pair of hands if needed
Thanks, Nick. May just take you up in that offer! Doing some cosmetic work to the Z this week: M Sport rear bumper and OSS headlights. Next will be some exhaust tips and custom roundels, then the power mods!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

What FMIC did you guys get?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
I paid $70 to have mine installed at a BMW shop in San Antonio, TX!

I was just feeling lazy that day.

$70 is such a steal!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

pics of it installed =)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Do you have your front grill removed in front of the FMIC? The FMIC seems unusually visually apparent.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes I removed it
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Your car is coming along really good so far. You are going to get alot of dents from road gravel or rocks in the intercooler fins with the lower mesh grill removed. I removed mine but then put it back on because of that.
      04-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep

thx
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #22
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Going to tackle this soon.

DKZTT, did you jack up all four corners or is it possible to do it on ramps?
Appreciate 0