New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
cap3344
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 E89

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Question 2010 with dying key fob

2 years ago I bought a one owner, hardly used 2010 E89. Both key Fobs worked. One went in a drawer. That one no longer acts as a remote but can start and run the car. I have someone looking at that. My "regular" key fob is getting the "battery discharge" warning message every time I use it. Went for a 30-40 min ride last week, no change. This is not my daily driver and 18+ months of Pandemic has done little to help get it out on the road. Z4 got a new battery itself last year.

Other than perhaps the rechargeable battery isn't very healthy anymore (not sure any iphone last 12 years on one battery); is there any possibility that the Z4's charging mechanism isn't functioning properly? I have never seen that come up as an issue in any forums (usually they cite it as dead battery, or FOB reprogramming needed).

FOB reprogramming instructions I see are usually oriented at other models "TURN KEY TO POSITION 1"... right. turn key in the E89 and hurt the FOB or your wrist.

At this point, may try again as I have a 60+ min ride to do next Tuesday.

Appreciate any advice from the forum gurus!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:40 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Are you sure your fobs have rechargeable batteries?.

Mine has replaceable battery in it (CR2032 coin style).
But that may be because of comfort access / keyless option.

My brother had a e90 years ago and that did not have keyless go and he said that his fob did not have replaceable coin battery.
      11-10-2021, 03:00 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Found this about older blade style bmw fob. Im specutalting that newer fobs have a similar charging system so all in the quote would also apply.
Basically it takes a really long time to recharge to full again.

Quote:
FZV key rechargeable battery
From KL R, the battery inside the key head is charged inductively by the EWS ring antenna via a coil antenna integrated in the key. The charging process is controlled by electronic circuitry integrated in the key.

The service life of a radio-control key used under normal conditions corresponds to the vehicle lifespan.
If the FZV keys are not used (ie: stored in a drawer), the battery will be discharged after approx. 1.5 years.
The time required to fully charge a discharged battery is approx. 30 hours.
The remote control can be operated about 15 times after a charging period of approx. 30 minutes (driving time).
      11-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I recently replaced my batteries too after thinking inserting my key would recharge the fob. Haha

(I have comfort access too.)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Yeah its recommended to replace that battery regularly or dont use it as keyless and put it in the slot if any first signs of low battery come up.

I once had an issue.
Entered the car using keyless... put my fob to the center console cubby thingy.
While driving got a message saying that no key is recognized for a moment.
Took that fob from the center console and moved it around a bit in the car and that message went away. Did not really think of it much and went on and drove to a carwash. Left my fob in the center console like before and got out to wash the car (it was that selfservice type of carwash).
While washing the car that key was not recognized again in the car interior and car locked itself. Usually you cant lock it if a key is still inside the car but with low battery it would not see it and allow locking through the door handle touch.
So finished washing my car and wanted to leave. Well, car would not unlock. Key inside, my phone on the passenger seat and spare key was in my luggage in the trunk. Had to leave my car to the car wash blocking others from using it, walk to the car dealer near the carwash, have them call me roadside assistance, wait 45 minutes to an hour for the assistance to arrive and break in to my car and unlock my doors. Image if that happened somewhere remote like in the forest or something.

While waiting for assistance, bought a new battery from a nearby gasstation and replaced it right after getting access my cars interior again. And never had any issues again.

So if you see any signs of key not being recognized, be aware and replace battery right away. And maybe put it in the key slot to be sure its recognized.
      11-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
cap3344
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 E89

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Thanks all. definitely not a replaceable battery. I have always put the key into the slot. Spare key coming back from a guy who supposedly can replace battery w/o destroying the key; will see if that helps.

30 hours to fully recharge - That's about a NYC to DENVER road trip!!

So far, Key #1 is still operating as a remote. Will see what happens when the spare comes back and if it works and charges.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the FZV keys are not used (ie: stored in a drawer), the battery will be discharged after approx. 1.5 years.
The time required to fully charge a discharged battery is approx. 30 hours.
The remote control can be operated about 15 times after a charging period of approx. 30 minutes (driving time).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
spitfun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M E89

Wanted to revisit this thread. I am under the understanding that the remotes without a removable battery have a rechargeable battery that charges in the car and the ones with a removable battery (2032 I believe) do not charge in the car. I just bought a new rechargeable battery on Amazon for my remote,I will need to open the case and solder a new one in,they are sealed from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 03:27 AM   #8
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfun View Post
Wanted to revisit this thread. I am under the understanding that the remotes without a removable battery have a rechargeable battery that charges in the car and the ones with a removable battery (2032 I believe) do not charge in the car. I just bought a new rechargeable battery on Amazon for my remote,I will need to open the case and solder a new one in,they are sealed from the factory.
That’s correct..cars with comfort access recognised by 3 raised ridges on the door handles have replacement non chargeable CR2032 batteries..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
spitfun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M E89

Btw,I did but a replacement remote on Ebay that has a replaceable battery-I am curious to see if it will work on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #10
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Look up the key fob on YT.
You can see how to replace battery.
I was about to do this, in my case the ignition slot Hall sensors have failed, or so it claims.
Having just removed it and unclipped apart there is inside the ignition slot a large fine wire coil around where the key fits in.
Seen what looks like a small magnetic plus other electricals.
Have 2nd hand on order to see if that works.
Appreciate 0