New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #45
BMW41049
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i 2021

Love boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzlejd View Post
Anybody on here a boater? I got a 18' Monterey bowrider a couple years ago. Too small so I'm now looking at either 2011 23' SeaDoo Challenger 230 or a 2006 Azure deck boat. I'm torn between the pros and cons of a jet boat vs typical prop driven boat. Anyone have opinions? I boat in a good size inland lake (Brookville Lake in Indiana).

Also, go ahead and post up your boats. Id love to see what everyone is rocking on the water.
We've had boats for the past 30 years and started at 21 feet and up to almost 50 feet now. Our last one was a Navigator 4400 which is just shy of 50 feet. We bought it in January 2011 and sold it in 2019. If you go this big prepare to pay big money for anything from slip fees to maintenance and fuel. My wife used to say ANYTHING for a boat is either $29 or $1000 and she wasn't too far off. Lots of fun and I still miss waking up at Catalina Island and cruising up and down the coast. Another boat might be in the cards soon. Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
Murf99314114.00
      11-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Every one that I've ever owned or dealt with drew in sea/lake/river water, ran it through the engine block, and then spit it out with the exhaust back into the sea/lake/river. Outboards in particular.

I helped with a 289 Ford marine V8 rebuild in my late teens, and will never forget the aluminum exhaust headers that were cooled by the outgoing water and mixed the water/exhaust. I spent days with the end caps off of those manifolds trying to clean years of salt accumulation from ocean water out of them. (FWIW, the engine block was a write-off, but the heads and aluminum water-cooled intake manifold also needed serious cleaning as part of their professional rebuilds).....
I guess that makes sense with the larger displacement motors and especially outboards. I guess there's that "sweet spot" with sail boats in the engine size where the cooling system is laid out the way mine is.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      11-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

For the outboard, if you take it out of the water there are hose adapters that can cover the inlet, turn on fresh water, run the engine for a minute, all cleaned out.

My dad FREAKED when he found out my brothers took the Bayliner into the ocean. Now he couldn't sell it saying the engine only had fresh water.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      11-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #48
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@Joekerr we flush the engines on the hose after we run because we are in brackish water. Salt plays hell on components if you let it sit. Plus, we are anal about keeping everything clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #49
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
For the outboard, if you take it out of the water there are hose adapters that can cover the inlet, turn on fresh water, run the engine for a minute, all cleaned out.
Rather than use the garden hose and water muffs, my grandfather used to fill a clean outdoor galvanized garbage can with water and drop the outdrive of his outboard into it for cooling. He believed that the water muffs and garden hose never allowed the thermostat to open, so he wanted to get the water in the can warm by running the engine. Then, he would turn on the hose to slowly replace the can's water with fresh.....
      11-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #50
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
How do you like the jet? Have you ever had a prop boat? I'd love to hear your thoughts on pros and cons of jets vs props.

The jet boat is newer and I like the layout more. The prop boat is just more comfortable to me from a maintenance/operation standpoint. Not sure how it will be getting a jet boat worked on. Way less mechanics around here know them. The jet boat is about $4k cheaper though...
For our usage we really love it. The main selling point was the back swim deck being at the water level and the kids not having to worry about hitting a prop when swimming etc. I've had prop fishing boats and they both have their pros and cons from a maintenance standpoint. I went with Yamaha because their warranty covers the boat, motor and trailer. I have not had to use it yet in two years of ownership. Maintenance is fairly easy and similar to any other inboard. Every year change the oil and I change the plugs every other year. Clean and grease the output shaft bearing every year via the zerk. Trailer maintenance is obviously the same. It sucks gas a lot more than an outboard but it is also a twin engine and I'm pulling tubers, wakeboarders and skiers quite a bit. The dual throttle is a ton of fun and it is very maneuverable. Also don't idle where there are any weeds or it will clog up the intakes very quickly. Other than that it's been a lot of fun and fairly easy to live with as far as boats go.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      11-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #51
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
I have had a couple jet boats in the past. Think shallow water river boats for the most part. This is when I lived in the NW and did allot of fishing activities out of them.

The caveats to jet boats, the main one is there is no neutral. If the engine is running there is thrust. The neutral with thrust is the bucket 1/2 up and 1/2 down or something similar. That is not 100% neutral. Then you still have side to side thrust goin on, so you can't just put it in neutral and not tend to the wheel and throttle.
I am sure you know that, but I would drive both types to make a decision about jet vs prop.

The great think about the jets I had is they ran in less than 6" of water. I don't think the recreational jets are set up that way, but have not looked at them in quite some time.

Boats are fun, I need another one soon. Thinking of the inflatable catamarans for where I live now. A little 14" with a small outboard would be quite fun for nocking around on the hooch...
This is still true about neutral but it isn't as bad on the newer ones. I forgot about steering, I had to add extra fins to my nozzles otherwise low speed steering is pretty crappy.

You can get into and out of pretty shallow spots. But you need to be careful that you aren't staying too long in shallow water with the engines running otherwise you can suck up too much sand/silt and clog your cooling passages in the engine(s). And possibly suck up rocks/sticks into the pumps and eff up your props. At least those are fairly easy to remove and clear on land. Just time consuming etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
See below, don't know first thing about boats, but why did the motors need to be flushed (and what exactly does that mean) every time you used the boat? And presumably the washing was because it was in salt water? Which is something I don't have to worry about lol.

My wife would LOVE a boat, and I would HATE one for the expense and trouble. But I don't know the first thing about boats - what makes keeping a jet boat in an in-water slip complicated / troublesome?
We only boat in freshwater and flush them a couple of times a year. The important one for us is doing it before storage for the winter. Never had an issue with any of our engines be them outboard or inboard.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #52
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Rather than use the garden hose and water muffs, my grandfather used to fill a clean outdoor galvanized garbage can with water and drop the outdrive of his outboard into it for cooling. He believed that the water muffs and garden hose never allowed the thermostat to open, so he wanted to get the water in the can warm by running the engine. Then, he would turn on the hose to slowly replace the can's water with fresh.....
We used the can at home to do maintenance on the outboard in the sailboat. Generally, that engine only ran on cans of ether
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      11-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #53
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I miss having a boat. My brother and I had a 30' Party Hut that we would 'camp' on and a wake board boat. We had a good run for 7 years or so. Then everyone started getting married and having kids. Interestingly, shortly after getting married females are done 'camping'

I just can't make a boat make sense, for me it would be on Tahoe, and EVERYTHING boat related is insanely expensive on Tahoe. Plus, I just don't have the time go use a boat.

We end up renting a boat once or twice for a day, its good, but not the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #54
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

We have a thread on Boats from a little while ago. I have a an '08 Regal bow rider on Keuka Lake up in the Finger Lake region of Western NY.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1817288

A couple pics from this summer - the boat on our lift, my son driving, my wife and daughter tubing plus one with my dog in my favorite boat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Josh-PA; 11-02-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 4
rebekahb3128.50
vreihen1614904.50
minn1913970.00
      11-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #55
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

My family has had our Malibu for about 13 years now. Tons of wonderful memories with it when I was younger and looking forward to having our one year old spend more time out on the lake next year.

This picture was from a trip to Glen Lake Michigan all the way from North Carolina back in 2009. We trailered it up there and while the drive was long, it was a wonderful experience overall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
zx10guy5139.00
minn1913970.00
Bingham276.00
      11-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
My family has had our Malibu for about 13 years now. Tons of wonderful memories with it when I was younger and looking forward to having our one year old spend more time out on the lake next year.

This picture was from a trip to Glen Lake Michigan all the way from North Carolina back in 2009. We trailered it up there and while the drive was long, it was a wonderful experience overall.
This is partially why I decided to say F' it and get a boat. Hoping I can create great memories with my daughter.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      11-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #57
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes, you would still flush the system due to any organic matter/crap that gets into the cooling system. I'm still pretty new to this whole boating thing and I also don't have a power boat but a sail boat with an inboard diesel. Mine was purchased used with two previous owners. I don't know if either of them have ever flushed the cooling system.

The cooling system in my boat has two loops in it. One is your traditional cooling system that uses 50/50 coolant. This coolant circulates to the heat exchanger where the surrounding water is pumped through it to pick up the heat from the 50/50 coolant. This water is then discharged out the side of the boat. Incidentally, it's also where the engine exhaust is sent out over the same opening. I don't know if there are any motors out there where there is direct contact within the engine block with the marine water as the coolant. I'd think this would be a major headache.
I believe some of the vintage copper lined single piston diesels did have direct contact with sea water but that would be way before my time. All the diesel engines I worked on would draw seawater aboard, pipe it through a freshwater heat exchanger which would cool the engine. The Yanmar turbo diesel on my boat used the onboard water system as it's service line via the hot water heater. It was such an effective system when we could fire the engine up under sail and take a hot shower in minutes.
      11-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I believe some of the vintage copper lined single piston diesels did have direct contact with sea water but that would be way before my time. All the diesel engines I worked on would draw seawater aboard, pipe it through a freshwater heat exchanger which would cool the engine. The Yanmar turbo diesel on my boat used the onboard water system as it's service line via the hot water heater. It was such an effective system when we could fire the engine up under sail and take a hot shower in minutes.
Mine is a Volvo Penta 2002 two cylinder diesel. I have a separate hot water heater.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #59
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Mine is a Volvo Penta 2002 two cylinder diesel. I have a separate hot water heater.
Yeah, it was the same with my system. The 12 gallon water heater was the feed for the diesel. But of course the genset or shore power could heat it as well. It was still pretty dope to be offshore for a couple of days and get a steamy shower in at least once a day.
      11-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #60
bonwit904
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Anybody on here a boater? I got a 18' Monterey bowrider a couple years ago. Too small so I'm now looking at either 2011 23' SeaDoo Challenger 230 or a 2006 Azure deck boat. I'm torn between the pros and cons of a jet boat vs typical prop driven boat. Anyone have opinions? I boat in a good size inland lake (Brookville Lake in Indiana).

Also, go ahead and post up your boats. Id love to see what everyone is rocking on the water.
I have a Formula 330 CBR
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
S1nner118.00
minn1913970.00
dinonz3214.00
      11-03-2021, 01:43 AM   #61
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I've heard the two best days when u own a boat is:

the day you buy it and the day you sell it
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614904.50
UncleWede17880.00
      11-03-2021, 05:46 AM   #62
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

Never heard that before🤣😝 Yes, they cost money and can sometimes irk your soul. I had way way more great days then bad. I was single back when I had the boat. Taking the honeys out and knocking bikini tops off when they were tubing. Priceless. Use to hit Brigantine beach. It was a spot where 4 wheel drive trucks could go and people would be partying all day. This thread is going to make me spend money😵🔫
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #63
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:

the day you buy it and the day you sell it...or give it away
Fixed that for you.....
      11-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #64
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:

I had that with this barge. To be fair, some of the problems were self inflicted because we didn't know any better, but this thing was a constant problem. We had plenty of good times on it, but I was happy when it was no longer my problem.

The Ski/Wakeboard boat on the other hand, was great. We (my brother and I bought both boats together) sold it when we started having kids and the barge camping was done. I knew that our boat was not great for Tahoe (I had plans on getting a cabin...even if it took a couple more years) and the boat would have been basically in storage for a couple of years untouched so it found a new home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #65
bonwit904
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:

False. Boating is the single best family activity out there. I miss being on the water when she is laid up for the winter. It's incredibly expensive but you only live once and the memories are worth it.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #66
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post
False. Boating is the single best family activity out there. I miss being on the water when she is laid up for the winter. It's incredibly expensive but you only live once and the memories are worth it.
preach!

that "two best days.." quote is perpetuated by non-boaters who experimented and just didnt enjoy it. much like our beloved bimmers, boats need to be used regularly and maintained regularly to perform as they should. if anyone buys a boat unaware of the time and financial commitment to maintain it...that's their problem, not the boat's!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0