New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #2003
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Just supply and demand dictates that as more people want/need electricity to power their vehicles, the cost of electricity will go up, and similarly if we utilize smaller and smaller portions of our existing petroleum capacity those costs will likely go down. But I am sure we will see higher taxes on gasoline to entice people to migrate to EVs.

The automobile industry is investing all their investable funds on EV vehicles. From here in I don't see much new development of ICE technology, definitely not in 10 years time.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #2004
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Just supply and demand dictates that as more people want/need electricity to power their vehicles, the cost of electricity will go up, and similarly if we utilize smaller and smaller portions of our existing petroleum capacity those costs will likely go down. But I am sure we will see higher taxes on gasoline to entice people to migrate to EVs.

The automobile industry is investing all their investable funds on EV vehicles. From here in I don't see much new development of ICE technology, definitely not in 10 years time.
Government loves its taxes, government collects staggering amounts of taxes from gas, as people move to EV's the tax collection will have to shift. There will also be a need for Trillions to build power plants and upgrade the delivery. That money has to come from somewhere. I'm going to suggest electricity is going to get much more expensive.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick66602.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN14235.00
Efthreeoh18706.00
      04-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #2005
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
through all the politics, covid mandates, taxes, irs, abortion, racism, gun laws whatever

what i bolded above is ALWAYS the elephant in the room and MOST don't want to understand or believe it.

its ALWAYS about the money
100% and the one country that stands to gain the most is China.
It has zero Oil but a ton of lithium and enough space to build refineries and battery plants. In 10-15 yrs, most common cars will be Chinese makes and all batteries will be manufactured in China. US will lose the little that is remaining of their auto manufacturing domestically.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN14235.00
HBC125.00
      04-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #2006
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There's something you don't understand. The petrochemical industry just can't shift to making less gasoline. The distillation ratio between the various fuels and petrochemicals is fixed. The ratio is dependent upon the distillation infrastructure already in place. That infrastructure just can't be recapitalized overnight. It will be trillions in investment and decades of work to adjust the fuel stratification supply. Forced mass adoption of EV just disrupts every industry that makes life comfortable for human, from motor fuel tax collection (to pay for roads) to the cost of home heating oil and jet fuel.

But hey, the Planet is at stake!
I wasn't aware of that. But how do they then adjust when global demand dries up due to recessions etc...? The reduction in demand will not happen overnight. It will gradually decrease over the next couple of decades.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #2007
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, would you invest in advancing ICE technology when most of the world's governments have banned ICE starting in 2035? But hey, no one is forcing me to buy EV. Lol.
But that would be like wishing to invest in horse carriages after the invention of the ICE vehicles. In 20+ years time who knows, maybe we will have nuclear or fusion powered vehicles that never need a recharge. We have to go with the flow and make the best of what is available to us. The charging issues will definitely improve over time. They will be quicker to charge and more convenient. But I am worried that the government, and utilities are not keeping up with the needed investments on the grid. I installed a whole-house generator as insurance against power disruptions. I think last year about 7 - 8% of vehicles sold in the US were electric. From here on every year that will increase. Is the grid capable of supporting this new demand? Plus on top of that trucks, busses etc. will make the same transition. Let's see how this evolves.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:11 AM   #2008
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
The difference is the government didn't mandate the end of the horse. Several inventors developed a better horse and the market took it from there.

I'm planning on building a new smaller house for retirement. I've decided to go full solar with it. Not to be Green, but because these dumbass planet savers are going to end up tripling the price of electricity, propane, motor fuel (to deliver the propane) and food. All just to drive EV.

you yourself are going solar...not becuse it is saving the planet, becuse it is cheaper source of energy and at the same time a much cleaner source of energy.
You're falling for Their evil plan
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #2009
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
you yourself are going solar...not becuse it is saving the planet, becuse it is cheaper source of energy and at the same time a much cleaner source of energy.
You're falling for Their evil plan
Apparently, you didn’t read the details for his reasoning. Either that or you chose to ignore that part.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #2010
Ghostrider.1127
Ghostrider
Rep
Drives: M140iX,Z4M40i,M8 comp,M2g87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Still is now, but the incentives will obviously disappear as the momentum behind BEVs displaces ICEs from the market and the grid and renewal electricity generation have to adapt. It is unlikely the cost per km/mile of the same class and age of ICE will ever be below that of a BEV again. https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/1...-vs-refuelling
That´s was before the war , cost of KW at charging points increase to a good 70% ( to 230%) . Some links are not doing the trick , with the current prices run a diesel still cheaper than a EV ...
      04-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #2011
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
That´s was before the war , cost of KW at charging points increase to a good 70% ( to 230%) . Some links are not doing the trick , with the current prices run a diesel still cheaper than a EV ...
Not any more, the price is back down to pre-war levels of 2021, after the major peaks in Aug and Dec 2022: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...price-country/ Of course those who locked into contracts when the price was high are going to be paying more than those paying current market rates.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #2012
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
Diesel were too economical, and lasted too long so they created “diesel gate” where they needed super special equipment that totally showed them letting off too much emissions - right in time for EV to be the big push.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 05:50 PM   #2013
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Mandating a supply crunch on a necessary resource, and taxing the alternative out of existence.

AKA getting screwed at both ends.

There has never been a better way to describe it than what you have just laid out.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #2014
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Mandating a supply crunch on a necessary resource, and taxing the alternative out of existence.

AKA getting screwed at both ends.

There has never been a better way to describe it than what you have just laid out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 06:34 PM   #2015
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
How did we get from the point where the car was a form of transportation and expression and family and pleasure to now a guilt and a source of carbon and harm . There's something fundamentally gone wrong in a short period of time where the very thing that's helped us and that we revere are to be despised of.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66602.50
      04-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #2016
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^

The Davos gang have been teeing up the 'reset', if you will, for years.
Here's a good place to start.

https://www.ge.com/news/reports/the-...how-to-respond
Patton2502959.00
Efthreeoh18706.00
      04-24-2023, 08:21 PM   #2017
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Apparently, you didn’t read the details for his reasoning. Either that or you chose to ignore that part.
Maybe I'll go geothermal for heat instead.

Appreciate 1
Patton2502959.00
      04-25-2023, 03:40 AM   #2018
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Yup we are being screwed over here too, George Harrison sang once that it will take a whole lot of money.. and put our childrens futures on a course to pay extortionate taxes.
https://www.fairfueluk.com/2030-Ban.html
''This policy will simply not work and has no democratic legitimacy''

Last edited by M5Rick; 04-25-2023 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN14235.00
      04-25-2023, 06:55 AM   #2019
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
But that would be like wishing to invest in horse carriages after the invention of the ICE vehicles. In 20+ years time who knows, maybe we will have nuclear or fusion powered vehicles that never need a recharge. We have to go with the flow and make the best of what is available to us. The charging issues will definitely improve over time. They will be quicker to charge and more convenient. But I am worried that the government, and utilities are not keeping up with the needed investments on the grid. I installed a whole-house generator as insurance against power disruptions. I think last year about 7 - 8% of vehicles sold in the US were electric. From here on every year that will increase. Is the grid capable of supporting this new demand? Plus on top of that trucks, busses etc. will make the same transition. Let's see how this evolves.
So, waiting to see how it evolves when one is looking at preserving his retirement funds, which are tied to the investment markets, because of a stupid idea like saving the planet from globalwarmingclimatechange is a bit concerning.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-25-2023, 08:06 AM   #2020
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, waiting to see how it evolves when one is looking at preserving his retirement funds, which are tied to the investment markets, because of a stupid idea like saving the planet from globalwarmingclimatechange is a bit concerning.
Putting the politics aside, this is where technology is going. Whether we like it or not, the future will be electric. There will come a point where the EVs will have far better performance than anything an ICE vehicle can match. They will be faster, have more features, better driving dynamics, more convenient to charge, drive longer on a charge than a fill-up, more reliable and easier to maintain. And it seems, except for the petroleum industry most people want this evolution to take place. Those who want to stick to ICE vehicles will still be able to for the rest of our lifetimes. You may have to pay a few bucks per gallon in additional taxes, but this is not going to be an issue for someone who is shelling out the kind of money needed to drive a BMW. Look at what happened to cigarettes. It used to be a $1 a pack and because of all the taxes it is closer to $15 today. Guess what, those who are passionate about smoking still do. This won't be any different.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      04-25-2023, 09:58 AM   #2021
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Putting the politics aside, this is where technology is going. Whether we like it or not, the future will be electric. There will come a point where the EVs will have far better performance than anything an ICE vehicle can match. They will be faster, have more features, better driving dynamics, more convenient to charge, drive longer on a charge than a fill-up, more reliable and easier to maintain. And it seems, except for the petroleum industry most people want this evolution to take place. Those who want to stick to ICE vehicles will still be able to for the rest of our lifetimes. You may have to pay a few bucks per gallon in additional taxes, but this is not going to be an issue for someone who is shelling out the kind of money needed to drive a BMW. Look at what happened to cigarettes. It used to be a $1 a pack and because of all the taxes it is closer to $15 today. Guess what, those who are passionate about smoking still do. This won't be any different.

There will def be ice post 2035 although a used market.

Once people see all the advantages an ev brings at that time, will be like ok fine I guess this might be better after all.

It’s simple psychology. People don’t like change. But change is good. And we’re going to run with it no matter if we want to or not.

2035 on the move!
      04-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #2022
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
There will come a point where the EVs will have far better performance than anything an ICE vehicle can match. They will be faster, have more features, better driving dynamics, more convenient to charge, drive longer on a charge than a fill-up, more reliable and easier to maintain.
Over/under - the amount of years until an EV can win overall at 24hr Le Mans.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 01:35 PM   #2023
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Over/under - the amount of years until an EV can win overall at 24hr Le Mans.
0% of auto shoppers are driving LeMans so who cares what car wins that race. Most of your BMW drivers are driving 10,000 miles a year where 70%+ is local driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 01:42 PM   #2024
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
0% of auto shoppers are driving LeMans so who cares what car wins that race. Most of your BMW drivers are driving 10,000 miles a year where 70%+ is local driving.
Come one...Just make a guess.

A lot of us here, are on here solely because of BMW's performance vehicles. Majority of tech has trickled down to road cars via racing. My first track car was a BMW...why I fell in love with the brand.

How does the saying go..."Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday".
Appreciate 0