New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #7569
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Waze told me take 118-210. So far not bad. Actually, I set cruise at 75 and just steered until gas light came on
      03-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #7570
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I'm a little concerned about the "accidental" launching of a missile by India into Pakistan (two nuke carrying countries that dislike each other).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #7571
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I don't understand the complaining about gas prices from the people i know irl.

It's not the kid with the 2003 corolla that's complaining, it's the guy with a gallardo, elise, and a x5 with a $700k house that's complaining. It's the guy that skips Chicago and drives to Arizona in his 911 the second it gets cold here.

I seriously don't understand it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #7572
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I'm a little concerned about the "accidental" launching of a missile by India into Pakistan (two nuke carrying countries that dislike each other).
I laughed my ass off at that. How does that call go?

"Whoopsie" ??
"Tag. You're it" ??

Accidentally fired a missile into a neighboring country. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #7573
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I don't understand the complaining about gas prices from the people i know irl.

It's not the kid with the 2003 corolla that's complaining, it's the guy with a gallardo, elise, and a x5 with a $700k house that's complaining. It's the guy that skips Chicago and drives to Arizona in his 911 the second it gets cold here.

I seriously don't understand it
In many ways I get where you're going with this, but the kid in the 2003 Corolla is living at home with mom & dad and isn't feeling the brunt of this (…much in the same way that my attorney g/f complains of the gas prices but her son's think money grows on trees and mom can just make it "appear" out of thin air whenever they want to buy something).

It now costs $22+ to fill up my 3 gallon Ducati tank when it used to cost $11. That's just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #7574
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
In many ways I get where you're going with this, but the kid in the 2003 Corolla is living at home with mom & dad and isn't feeling the brunt of this (…much in the same way that my attorney g/f complains of the gas prices but her son's think money grows on trees and mom can just make it "appear" out of thin air whenever they want to buy something).

It now costs $22+ to fill up my 3 gallon Ducati tank when it used to cost $11. That's just ridiculous.
You actually went where I was trying to go.

The $10 change to fuel up your bike is "ridiculous"? It's $10, I honestly think if you own something as specialized and niche of a vehicle as a Ducati (I doubt you use it daily, at least), $10/tank shouldn't phase you. I would even argue if that $10/tank increase is "the brunt of this", you should reconsider your priorities. (Nothing at your person, but you get what I mean I hope)

That's kinda what I was getting at, honestly. For a lot of people $10 is a solid amount of money and I truly respect that. I just think it's almost funny when the people who $10 wouldn't phase them otherwise are complaining about gas prices going up a little bit.

I don't recall the exact number, but I see this as one of those comparisons like "$1 million to (some rich guy) is what 10 cents is to the average American". I strongly don't think most of us on this forum are at a point to be penny pinching about $10-20 increases to fill up. I would even consider that hypocritical.

Edit: I'm also seeing you have a C2S on order, congratulations - they are really cool cars!
However that also just reminds me that you can afford to buy a car that starts at at least $100k, and have a Ducati, plus presumably other vehicles too. So obviously you have the cashflow many people aspire to have, many work towards to have. And on top of that you like cars given you're here so you probably accepted a few decades before I was even born that you need to put in gas to enjoy your hobby.

So I really don't understand why the gas price increases are "ridiculous". It sucks, I'm not partying out here either, but I'm really struggling to understand why its even a topic of discussion for people who can clearly afford the price changes.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
megf273.50
      03-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #7575
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You actually went where I was trying to go.

The $10 change to fuel up your bike is "ridiculous"? It's $10, I honestly think if you own something as specialized and niche of a vehicle as a Ducati (I doubt you use it daily, at least), $10/tank shouldn't phase you. I would even argue if that $10/tank increase is "the brunt of this", you should reconsider your priorities. (Nothing at your person, but you get what I mean I hope)

That's kinda what I was getting at, honestly. For a lot of people $10 is a solid amount of money and I truly respect that. I just think it's almost funny when the people who $10 wouldn't phase them otherwise are complaining about gas prices going up a little bit.

I don't recall the exact number, but I see this as one of those comparisons like "$1 million to (some rich guy) is what 10 cents is to the average American". I strongly don't think most of us on this forum are at a point to be penny pinching about $10-20 increases to fill up. I would even consider that hypocritical.
You missed the point. My gas tank example applies to ANY motorcycle, regardless of make, model, etc. It being a niche marquee is irrelevant.

It's about principle, not what someone with money can or can't afford. If that's your cavalier approach, then I would expect that you buy everything at full price and never take advantage of discounts or sales. After all, it's only $10.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #7576
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You miss the point. My gas tank example applies to ANY motorcycle, regardless of make, model, etc. It being a niche marquee is irrelevant.

It's about principle, not what someone with money can or can't afford.
I don't know I guess I really am missing the point, I don't understand the principle
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #7577
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You miss the point. My gas tank example applies to ANY motorcycle, regardless of make, model, etc. It being a niche marquee is irrelevant.

I don't know I guess I really am missing the point, I don't understand the principle
These gas prices are arbitrary to some degree. A prime example of this is the cost of gas at one gas station versus a gas station one mile away across state lines. Another example is the debacle that occurred in California circa-2003 where it was revealed [via released audio recordings] that the gas hike was instituted by the powers-that-be to sap money from the laymen to pad the pockets of politicians. Schwartzeneggar was voted in and put a stop to it (…and the arbitrary vehicle registration increase(s)). You might like being taken for a ride and willingly accept what is dished to you to benefit the elite, but I do not.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #7578
Shiza
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:

Here's a better example. My truck now costs $100 more to fill up because of diesel prices. If I fill up once a week for my daily commute that's $400 more per month. Since I'm not a 2003 carolla kid who lives at home it adds up.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
vreihen1619086.50
      03-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #7579
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

I'm not sure that I have ever wished death up on someone as much as I feel right now. Watching Russian tanks shooting at apartment buildings in Ukraine is just the latest that has triggered that feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 05:05 PM   #7580
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I'm not sure that I have ever wished death up on someone as much as I feel right now. Watching Russian tanks shooting at apartment buildings in Ukraine is just the latest that has triggered that feeling.
I was just viewing that as well. I wonder if they want to be doing that or they're just following orders?

Did you see the interview with the Ukrainian man talking to his dad? His dad lives in the forest in Russia and had been listening to Russian propaganda saying the Russian army is liberating the Ukrainians from the Nazis. Also his dad said the Russian army is giving them warm clothes. OMFG!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #7581
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I was just viewing that as well. I wonder if they want to be doing that or they're just following orders?

Did you see the interview with the Ukrainian man talking to his dad? His dad lives in the forest in Russia and had been listening to Russian propaganda saying the Russian army is liberating the Ukrainians from the Nazis. Also his dad said the Russian army is giving them warm clothes. OMG!
Without question the man on top is making the calls (hence my ire), but I can't speculate on what is going through the heads of the soldiers. I did see the interview I think. Unbelievable. He won't even believe his own son! About half of the population in Russia believe they are fighting the good fight and battling Nazis. WTF era do they think they're living in? That country is getting crushed economically and there will be an uprising as this continues when people realize they cannot enjoy luxuries in life that they have become used to since they opened things up to the West a few decades ago. I think I heard a few hundred thousand Russians have already left the country knowing things are only going to get worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #7582
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Since I'm not a 2003 carolla kid who lives at home it adds up.
When I went to my niece's house, we blocked the grand-niece in the driveway. She was waiting for dad to get home so she could go get gas. I didn't understand at the time what she was really waiting for was dad's WALLET to get home.
As we were leaving, I mentioned I could use a few to go fill up the X3. He didn't like my humor
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go16580.00
      03-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #7583
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
When I went to my niece's house, we blocked the grand-niece in the driveway. She was waiting for dad to get home so she could go get gas. I didn't understand at the time what she was really waiting for was dad's WALLET to get home.
As we were leaving, I mentioned I could use a few to go fill up the X3. He didn't like my humor
As liberating it is to live alone, what I wouldn't give to go back to a rent free life and "mom i need to get gas can i borrow your card"
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50
Sedan_Clan26655.00
      03-14-2022, 07:54 PM   #7584
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As liberating it is to live alone, what I wouldn't give to go back to a rent free life and "mom i need to get gas can i borrow your card"
Haha! Just let me qualify for one of these ridiculous stimulus programs. That extra $1000 a month for three years would pay the 911 payment.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #7585
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Haha! Just let me qualify for one of these ridiculous stimulus programs. That extra $1000 a month for three years would pay the 911 payment.
I don't want to see you delivering for... what was it... "Skip the Dishes".
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26655.00
UncleWede18324.00
      03-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #7586
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
While I have mostly kept the road rage in check,
WTF is wrong with people?

I confess, it makes me crazy when I get to the on ramp for the bridge in the morning and there are people ahead of me. No one knows how to merge. I leave really early so normally, no one is ahead of me.

Anyway, I get to the ramp this morning and there are maybe 4 or 5 cars ahead of me. I know it won't be good, as the first car is taking his sweet time and those behind him are up his ass instead of leaving room between in preparation of the inevitable stop dead and look for cars at the very end of the ramp and get stuck behind with no running room.

As I come around the turn I check out oncoming traffic and see a bunch of trucks. As anticipated, the first car comes to a dead stop at the very end of the merge lane with the others following suit. I see a break in the traffic, but a short one as another truck is approaching. I merge in quick and kick it into the left lane (two lane bridge) and blow past the line of cars stuck behind the can’t merge guy and past the line of trucks ahead before the span narrows. I see the guy that was immediately ahead of me on the ramp in a big ass pickup coming up quick in my rearview. As soon as I pass the trucks, I move back in the right lane. I figure he is going to blow past me. But NOOOO. This asshole first rides next to me for no reason, his lane is wide open. Then he passes me, straddles the center line and starts brake checking me and swerving back and forth across both lanes for the entire stretch of the bridge. Really? I did nothing to warrant this. I didn’t cut him off, I just used all my horses to get out of the cluster f*ck. I did not engage him. I waited until we were off the bridge and I had room to blow past him again. Why are people such assholes? I could see something like this escalating rather quickly.

Rant over.
TiMSport12835.50
Dino GT35064.50
      03-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #7587
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

I confess, it makes me crazy when I get to the on ramp for the bridge in the morning and there are people ahead of me. No one knows how to merge. I leave really early so normally, no one is ahead of me.

Anyway, I get to the ramp this morning and there are maybe 4 or 5 cars ahead of me. I know it won't be good, as the first car is taking his sweet time and those behind him are up his ass instead of leaving room between in preparation of the inevitable stop dead and look for cars at the very end of the ramp and get stuck behind with no running room.

As I come around the turn I check out oncoming traffic and see a bunch of trucks. As anticipated, the first car comes to a dead stop at the very end of the merge lane with the others following suit. I see a break in the traffic, but a short one as another truck is approaching. I merge in quick and kick it into the left lane (two lane bridge) and blow past the line of cars stuck behind the can’t merge guy and past the line of trucks ahead before the span narrows. I see the guy that was immediately ahead of me on the ramp in a big ass pickup coming up quick in my rearview. As soon as I pass the trucks, I move back in the right lane. I figure he is going to blow past me. But NOOOO. This asshole first rides next to me for no reason, his lane is wide open. Then he passes me, straddles the center line and starts brake checking me and swerving back and forth across both lanes for the entire stretch of the bridge. Really? I did nothing to warrant this. I didn’t cut him off, I just used all my horses to get out of the cluster f*ck. I did not engage him. I waited until we were off the bridge and I had room to blow past him again. Why are people such assholes? I could see something like this escalating rather quickly.

Rant over.
You didn't get the message that shoei was in town???? He just wanted to invite you out for donuts.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26655.00
cmyx6go16580.00
TiMSport12835.50
      03-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #7588
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:

Rant over.
You didn't get the message that shoei was in town???? He just wanted to invite you out for donuts.
I would just have them delivered to her. No need to have her drive out needlessly in the morning and then have to risk the innocent drivers and the rest of humanity to her 617 ponies.

I mean, risk her 617 ponies with the not-so-innocent drivers and the rest of humanity?

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26655.00
cmyx6go16580.00
UncleWede18324.00
      03-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #7589
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

Rant over.
I confess that it's refreshing to see others here rant about stupid fvcking drivers we all encounter on a daily basis.
I could probably write a novel about this stuff.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16580.00
      03-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #7590
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Our inability as a society to execute a simple zipper merge must be the second biggest cause of both traffic and road rage on the highways, after left lane camping.

How hard can it be? Match the speed of the traffic you’re merging into, find a safe gap, signal and move. Oh but no, you have assholes who:

- go slower than traffic and dangerously back up all mergers and leave them with no spaces to merge into
- are in the flow of traffic and intentionally block mergers by closing off all gaps like they’re Max Verstappen spotting Lewis Hamilton coming out of the pits
- get angry and road rage at anyone who started out behind them and ends up ahead of them. It’s not a Starbucks queue, you twits! Cars are supposed to find safe available gaps, not “wait their turn” at all costs!
- on the other hand, you have idiots who pass up reasonable opportunities to merge, because they want to merge at the last possible moment and get as far up the line as possible, because…why? Is there some game that only they are playing and they have to win??

Every time you hit your brakes or make someone else hit theirs, you set off a chain reaction that ultimately results in a traffic jam. Just don’t do it
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16580.00
Sedan_Clan26655.00