New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

05-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
lisakay
Spain
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
I can't add anything that hasn't been said already as far as editing, but.....if you wanted to re-shoot this, you could try it from a slightly different angle. someone mentioned that the focus seems to be on the tail lights, so if you could shift it towards the 335 badge, that would be good. and maybe fill the entire frame with the car, and keep the background out of it. just my 3 cents.

but the original photo isn't bad either. I like how you processed it.
      05-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
#1 I think it's been overly processed with no direction.. what is it you are trying to achieve?

#2 That car in the distance doesn't help and is a distraction.

#3 This shot has been done a million-trillion times.. I mean you no offense but it's the first shot n00bs usually do with an slr and a car--"dof practice images with the badges"

My suggestion for this type of shot.. add a twist.. include some background.. make your picture tell a story.. For example take it at a beach and have someone standing looking out over the water in the blur.. or have a menacing rival car pointing towards you in the blur.. or break the rules and shoot into the sun... do some kind of over exposure to give the picture some feeling.. an example:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/...786853c8_o.jpg

or something menacing in the back...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1408/...81e5fcf2_o.jpg

or sometimes just a nice bokeh with awesome complementary colors is all you need.. This type of careful planning is what differentiates a photograph vs. a snapshot.. That's just my opinion anyways and how I would do the shot if I was asked to but everyone has their own style and I am not a professional by far.. I've taken thousands of automotive shots though..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
where is the halo? I only see the vignetting.

EDIT: ok forget it now I see... it's like blown out really close to the edge of the car. Didn't notice that until I'm looking at it on my big iMac not the little Macbook.
yeah, that's the only bit though, i really like the image.
      05-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
#1 I think it's been overly processed with no direction.. what is it you are trying to achieve?

#2 That car in the distance doesn't help and is a distraction.

#3 This shot has been done a million-trillion times.. I mean you no offense but it's the first shot n00bs usually do with an slr and a car--"dof practice images with the badges"

My suggestion for this type of shot.. add a twist.. include some background.. make your picture tell a story.. For example take it at a beach and have someone standing looking out over the water in the blur.. or have a menacing rival car pointing towards you in the blur.. or break the rules and shoot into the sun... do some kind of over exposure to give the picture some feeling.. an example:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/...786853c8_o.jpg

or something menacing in the back...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1408/...81e5fcf2_o.jpg

or sometimes just a nice bokeh with awesome complementary colors is all you need.. This type of careful planning is what differentiates a photograph vs. a snapshot.. That's just my opinion anyways and how I would do the shot if I was asked to but everyone has their own style and I am not a professional by far.. I've taken thousands of automotive shots though..

--mike
I enjoy shooting basically everything I can with a good DOF because I love how it makes your subject stand out more. Plus it was darker out so I was down near 2.8 so I could stay at 100 ISO.

You're absolutely right it isn't a professional looking shot that was planned out in advance. It's from a meet, and not even of my car. Snapshot is exactly what it is which is why it probably looks a bit unoriginal and like it doesn't have much of a purpose. It's purpose was to be part of a group of shots of various cars at the meet.

I was mainly looking for critiques on the PP stuff anyway... and I really don't understand what you mean by "I think it's been overly processed with no direction.. what is it you are trying to achieve?". I'm trying to achieve exactly what the PP looks like... the Lucisart 3D effect (within good taste).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post

I was mainly looking for critiques on the PP stuff anyway... and I really don't understand what you mean by "I think it's been overly processed with no direction.. what is it you are trying to achieve?". I'm trying to achieve exactly what the PP looks like... the "Lucisart 3D" effect (within good taste).
What exactly are you trying to enhance and why is what i'm getting at.. it didn't look like anything needed enhancing.. I guess I'm not familiar with Lucisart 3D or why it's so awesome

When I pp i usually do it to set a mood for the picture or set of pictures.. otherwise i just leave it alone.

--mike
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #28
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-de.htm

I'm PPing this one with this because I'm trying to learn how to refine the PP'ing with it. Not because the picture setting called for it or something like that. I chose a photo I thought would look good with this type of PP technique and now I'm trying to refine the technique.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #29
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

1. Lose the reflections.
2. Agree on losing the keyhole.
3. Desaturate the background a little (mainly the grass).

Pretty cool, though. Nice work.