New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #3191
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It was heading for Egypt, probably Port Said and it didn't get very far until the disaster struck..just one car erupting in flames out of nowhere destroying probably all the cars on it with the ship.
Yes . The cargo ship "The Fremantle Highway" came from Germany .
EV's are like ticking time bombs ! An environmental disaster is coming up !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #3192
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
EV's start themselves on fire in ways above and beyond the ways that ICEs start themselves on fire. I've already provided links and sources proof that this happens, not just that it "could" happen, as have others. In summary, they have more threat vectors of this spontaneous combustion phenomena than ICE. All cars have electrical systems, EV's have the additional risk of unpredictable fuel storage systems.

Only thing missing is any proof an EV is more dangerous than an ICE.

I do like your summary, "...they have more threat vectors..." - No idea what this means but it is awesome.
      07-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #3193
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
There’s more risk filling up at a gas station when the whole station is packed vs charging your car at home.

People here are clueless about our future.

Oh well. Time will tell for sure! Getting close!!!!
Yawn 🤡
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 04:22 PM   #3194
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I doubt you would accept any proof I provide.

Can you prove that an ICE fuel system is more dangerous than EV? You want to start a new circle-jerk?

Quote:
I do like your summary, "...they have more threat vectors..." - No idea what this means but it is awesome.
Yes, big & specific words can have that effect on people.

If you are unfamiliar with what a term means, I suggest www.google.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #3195
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Ship disaster by EV !
A cargo ship caught fire off the coast of the Netherlands in the North Sea, killing at least one person and injuring several !
Ship was carrying 3000 cars ...
The Filicity Ace Cargo ship that sank last year is also suspected to have been caused by an EV fire. We'll never know, but it's the primary suspicion. That suspicion isn't born out of nothing...
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #3196
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you would accept any proof I provide.
You haven't even tried. Go ahead and post the information.
Quote:

Can you prove that an ICE fuel system is more dangerous than EV? You want to start a new circle-jerk?
No. I never said it was. I would never claim the ICE was more dangerous without having proof to back it up.
      07-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #3197
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Just google posts made by countless fire departments on how much more dangerous EV car fires are.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ment-can-help/
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #3198
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Electric cars are involved in 50% more traffic accidents than their petrol and diesel counterparts, according to a study by insurer Axa.

The high number of accidents has actually nothing to do with the technology, but everything to do with the driving behaviour of the drivers. It is mainly the fast and sharp acceleration that surprises drivers, especially those new to the cars, and leads to accidents.

The current lithium-ion batteries are extremely hard to extinguish. And an electric car has thousands of batteries. For the fire brigade, the only solution is often to immerse the car in a container filled with water for a number of days. There are cases where electric cars were taken out of the water tank after a few days and yet caught fire again. This is a problem that remains a challenge for the manufacturers and the emergency services.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/287315...es-study-shows

OK who here didn't suspect EV drivers of driving like idiots in their "Green" car?
Appreciate 5
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick61852.50
PhaceN52174.50
      07-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #3199
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You haven't even tried. Go ahead and post the information.
I've posted plenty over the last 3000+ posts in this topic alone, I'm not up to the task of scouring them all to re-post.

Quote:
No. I never said it was. I would never claim the ICE was more dangerous without having proof to back it up.
And I've not said that EV's are more dangerous, just that they have more threat vectors = more ways to fail for those that are not well read.

I've owned a lot of battery operated electronic devices in my life, of multipel battery chemistries, over a very long span of time. The only ones I've ever had with "thermal problems" are Li-ion batteries. scaling this up to batteries 100KW+ or more in size is where the problem lies. charging a 1000-3000 pound Li-ion battery in an enclosed residential setting while soundly asleep is a risk some of us are just not ready to take. Those that feel that way aren't crazy.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #3200
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The Filicity Ace Cargo ship that sank last year is also suspected to have been caused by an EV fire. We'll never know, but it's the primary suspicion. That suspicion isn't born out of nothing...
Sure it was . If your EV catches fire in your garage why wouldn't it catch fire at a cargo ship ..
It clearly simple why both Cargo ships caught fire and it won't be the last time .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #3201
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Electric cars are involved in 50% more traffic accidents than their petrol and diesel counterparts, according to a study by insurer Axa.

The high number of accidents has actually nothing to do with the technology, but everything to do with the driving behaviour of the drivers. It is mainly the fast and sharp acceleration that surprises drivers, especially those new to the cars, and leads to accidents.

The current lithium-ion batteries are extremely hard to extinguish. And an electric car has thousands of batteries. For the fire brigade, the only solution is often to immerse the car in a container filled with water for a number of days. There are cases where electric cars were taken out of the water tank after a few days and yet caught fire again. This is a problem that remains a challenge for the manufacturers and the emergency services.

OK who here didn't suspect EV drivers of driving like idiots in their "Green" car?
Who could've seen that coming, you produce a car that weights about 50% more and accelerates about 50% faster and then are surprised that idiots crash it at higher rates. Nothing to see here folks.....move along.
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #3202
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
None. Not picking on you but have you ever watched an ICE explode? Part of the reason these fires get so much attention is EV's are new, many dislike them, and they don't like any change.

If you come up with any data that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's please post it. I am not defending EV's just waiting on some proof.

You have proof that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's?

Dude where were you this entire thread?

These people are clueless. Let's monitor this progress in one year increments. I already shitted on another dudes theory back in december 2021 and he remained silent when december 2022 came around.

Let the cheerleaders do their hip hop hooray right now in 2023.

It's not a race it's a rally!

2030 will be the holy chit mang it's actually happening year!
      07-26-2023, 05:05 PM   #3203
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Just google posts made by countless fire departments on how much more dangerous EV car fires are.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ment-can-help/
This doesn't prove the EV is more dangerous. Once there is a fire it is very difficult/dangerous to put out and this fire department needs new equipment to fight it. You need injury statistics, frequency of fires by number produced, something to show that the individual car is more dangerous. Could be the fire itself is more dangerous to fight but the EV rarely catches fire, or they are constantly catching fire and are also far more dangerous fires.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #3204
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've posted plenty over the last 3000+ posts in this topic alone, I'm not up to the task of scouring them all to re-post.
So you have the proof just not the time/interest to look it up? We both know this doesn't make sense.

Quote:

And I've not said that EV's are more dangerous, just that they have more threat vectors = more ways to fail for those that are not well read.
Great, now you point out you also haven't said EV's are more dangerous. Thanks, we both agree. I also haven't said which is more dangerous because I really don't know.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
gblansten2110.50
      07-26-2023, 05:13 PM   #3205
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It was heading for Egypt, probably Port Said and it didn't get very far until the disaster struck..just one car erupting in flames out of nowhere destroying probably all the cars on it with the ship.
Just wait for it to happen on a train in a channel tunnel .
I think it's just a matter of time...

Appreciate 3
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #3206
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Dude where were you this entire thread?

These people are clueless. Let's monitor this progress in one year increments. I already shitted on another dudes theory back in december 2021 and he remained silent when december 2022 came around.

Let the cheerleaders do their hip hop hooray right now in 2023.

It's not a race it's a rally!

2030 will be the holy chit mang it's actually happening year!
I find these places both strange and disappointing. Mob mentality has them come to an agreement, like all "EV's are bad", "EV's are dangerous", it's black/white, good/bad, and when someone comes in and asks for proof it's like some crazy accusation against them. Nothing personal, I won't believe it until it is proven, sorry.
      07-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #3207
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Just wait for it to happen on a train in a channel tunnel .
I think it's just a matter of time...
If I ever used the channel tunnel again I wouldn't at all be happy with EV's on the train.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #3208
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
That one isn't far off though. People were losing their **** years ago when Toyota introduced the Prius...with a BATTERY. There was no shortage of predictions of terror and apocalypse due to this, with projections of dead Priuses everywhere, how it would fail completely, how they couldn't be repaired, how it was going to take their jerbs, etc. People are losing their **** again. Calm down honey, it's not going to change overnight, you'll be ok.
Great that you bring up the prius. I have always thought of Tesla as the prius part 2(only without the toyota build quality). Efficient butt ugly and destined to be around for a while and no one says wow when they see one.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
      07-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #3209
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This doesn't prove the EV is more dangerous. Once there is a fire it is very difficult to put out and this fire department needs new equipment to fight it.
So I'm going to suggest that there are countless storys about how dangerous EV fires are, about how they are involved in more accidents as a percentage than ICE vehicles. But I guess you need to wait for some government agency to do a 10 year study to confirm what people who deal with this on a daily basis are saying. No need to reply because I suspect we won't come to an agreement on it. Cheers.

https://jalopnik.com/european-resear...oll-1849478907

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/09/...urance-company

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/elec...heres-why.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...fires-n1271084
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #3210
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did you read the articles or just the headlines?
Quote:
So I'm going to suggest that there are countless storys about how dangerous EV fires are, about how they are involved in more accidents as a percentage than ICE vehicles. But I guess you need to wait for some government agency to do a 10 year study to confirm what people who deal with this on a daily basis are saying. No need to reply because I suspect we won't come to an agreement on it. Cheers.

First line
Quote:
The high number of accidents has actually nothing to do with the technology, but everything to do with the driving behaviour of the drivers.
Quote:
First paragraph
Quote:
New research data from European insurer AXA has found that when electric cars crash, they’re more expensive to fix and can do more damage than a comparable combustion-engined vehicle. But when you think about it, those findings aren’t exactly a shock.

See, EVs are generally loaded up with a ton of new technology. Batteries are expensive, and electrified vehicles often feature more advanced cabin tech that, if damaged, can lead to a hefty repair bill.

Quote:
The company attributed the higher damage from crashes to what it called "the overtapping effect" that causes electric cars to accelerate far faster than their conventional counterparts using the same amount of force on the acceleration pedal.
- I guess you are against cars that accelerate quickly because they are so dangerous?

Quote:
Research by another firm, AutoinsuranceEZ, says battery electric vehicles have just a .03% chance of igniting, compared to internal combustion engine vehicle’s 1.5% chance. Hybrid electrics, which have both a high voltage battery and an internal combustion engine, have a 3.4% likelihood of vehicle fires according to their study.
if we believe your article the ICE is 50 times more likely to catch fire (.03% to 1.5%). Hard to believe but you posted it. How does this help your cause?

Fires are difficult/dangerous to fight, nothing in here says anything about which vehicle is more dangerous.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #3211
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
David70 Some of your links are broken? Yes I really do read articles that don't promote my personal viewpoints.
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick61852.50
      07-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #3212
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you read the articles or just the headlines?
First line

First paragraph

- I guess you are against cars that accelerate quickly because they are so dangerous?

if we believe your article the ICE is 50 times more likely to catch fire (.03% to 1.5%). Hard to believe but you posted it. How does this help your cause?

Fires are difficult/dangerous to fight, nothing in here says anything about which vehicle is more dangerous.
The point is that there are real issues with EV's when they catch fire and that they are heavier with quicker acceleration than ICE vehicles. To just dismiss those issues is short sited.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61852.50