New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #3169
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Tell me, how high is the risk? You say you can tell from the videos, is it 1 in 100k, 1 in 10k? Is the risk any higher of an EV fire than an ICE fire?

I might get hit by lightning, bitten by a shark, die in a car accident, house fire or in an ICE fire. If I am in a fire I plan to get out fast, regardless of ICE, EV, or house.
I certainly hope no-one get struck by lightning or eaten by a shark which is why people take precautions like not standing by a tree when there is lightning or stay out of the water where there is a shark risk.
With EV it'll come out of nowhere (as I have said before) and carrying one of these special glass break pointed hammers to keep in the car is a good idea. If an EV catches fire while driving the door release could fail or the side windows may not go down, it's happened.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #3170
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I certainly hope no-one get struck by lightning or eaten by a shark which is why people take precautions like not standing by a tree when there is lightning or stay out of the water where there is a shark risk.
With EV it'll come out of nowhere (as I have said before) and carrying one of these special glass break pointed hammers to keep in the car is a good idea. If an EV catches fire while driving the door release could fail or the side windows may not go down, it's happened.
I still walk around with clouds in the sky and go in the ocean. From the data I have seen the risk is very small of either a lightning strike or shark bite.

While you seam very concerned about the EV, if you come up with any data that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's please post it. I am not defending EV's just waiting on some proof.
      07-26-2023, 03:48 PM   #3171
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I would expect to see gas tank recalls if they were spontaneously starting fires in people's homes and driveways, on the side of the road, or on transport ships and parking garages. That gas tanks are not having this problem stands in contrast to the EV fuel storage medium : Li-ion batteries.

Are you dense or just obtuse?

EV poses a risk not found in an ICE platform. It can be scientifically explained and quantified, reproduced, measured (as in it really happens to innocent people), and there is no clear path to mitigation or prevention beyond "hope it doesn't happen to you", or "don't charge it and you will be fine".

It is a risk that some are not comfortable with: spontaneous fire. Not only can it start itself on fire, but it can't be put out with conventional methods like conventional hydrocarbon fuel fires. It doesn't even need oxygen to burn once started.
Like a broken record, neither of us expect to see a gas tank cause any problem by itself.

Here's mine - If you come up with any data that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's please post it. I am not defending EV's just waiting on some proof.

No need to keep on posting that gas tanks don't explode on their own and the risk from an EV is different than an ICE, we all get it.
      07-26-2023, 03:54 PM   #3172
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Ship disaster by EV !
A cargo ship caught fire off the coast of the Netherlands in the North Sea, killing at least one person and injuring several !
Ship was carrying 3000 cars ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #3173
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
If you come up with any data that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's please post it. I am not defending EV's just waiting on some proof.
Not picking on you but do you have any proof of a small EV fire? This is why EV fires get so much attention. When LiPo's catch fire it's a big burn down.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #3174
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
If you come up with any data that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's please post it. I am not defending EV's just waiting on some proof.

EV's start themselves on fire in ways above and beyond the ways that ICEs start themselves on fire. I've already provided links and sources proof that this happens, not just that it "could" happen, as have others. In summary, they have more threat vectors of this spontaneous combustion phenomena than ICE. All cars have electrical systems, EV's have the additional risk of unpredictable fuel storage systems.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66610.50
kyriian938.50
      07-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #3175
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Ship disaster by EV !
A cargo ship caught fire off the coast of the Netherlands in the North Sea, killing at least one person and injuring several !
3000 cars are gone as well ...

It was heading for Egypt, probably Port Said and it didn't get very far until the disaster struck..just one car erupting in flames out of nowhere destroying probably all the cars on it with the ship.
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #3176
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Not picking on you but do you have any proof of a small EV fire? This is why EV fires get so much attention. When LiPo's catch fire it's a big burn down.
None. Not picking on you but have you ever watched an ICE explode? Part of the reason these fires get so much attention is EV's are new, many dislike them, and they don't like any change.

You have proof that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's?
      07-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #3177
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
It was heading for Egypt, probably Port Said and it didn't get very far until the disaster struck..just one car erupting in flames out of nowhere destroying probably all the cars on it with the ship.
Yes . The cargo ship "The Fremantle Highway" came from Germany .
EV's are like ticking time bombs ! An environmental disaster is coming up !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #3178
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
EV's start themselves on fire in ways above and beyond the ways that ICEs start themselves on fire. I've already provided links and sources proof that this happens, not just that it "could" happen, as have others. In summary, they have more threat vectors of this spontaneous combustion phenomena than ICE. All cars have electrical systems, EV's have the additional risk of unpredictable fuel storage systems.

Only thing missing is any proof an EV is more dangerous than an ICE.

I do like your summary, "...they have more threat vectors..." - No idea what this means but it is awesome.
      07-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #3179
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
There’s more risk filling up at a gas station when the whole station is packed vs charging your car at home.

People here are clueless about our future.

Oh well. Time will tell for sure! Getting close!!!!
Yawn 🤡
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 04:22 PM   #3180
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you would accept any proof I provide.

Can you prove that an ICE fuel system is more dangerous than EV? You want to start a new circle-jerk?

Quote:
I do like your summary, "...they have more threat vectors..." - No idea what this means but it is awesome.
Yes, big & specific words can have that effect on people.

If you are unfamiliar with what a term means, I suggest www.google.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #3181
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Ship disaster by EV !
Ship was carrying 3000 cars ...
The Filicity Ace Cargo ship that sank last year is also suspected to have been caused by an EV fire. We'll never know, but it's the primary suspicion. That suspicion isn't born out of nothing...
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #3182
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you would accept any proof I provide.
You haven't even tried. Go ahead and post the information.
Quote:

Can you prove that an ICE fuel system is more dangerous than EV? You want to start a new circle-jerk?
No. I never said it was. I would never claim the ICE was more dangerous without having proof to back it up.
      07-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #3183
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Just google posts made by countless fire departments on how much more dangerous EV car fires are.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ment-can-help/
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #3184
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Electric cars are involved in 50% more traffic accidents than their petrol and diesel counterparts, according to a study by insurer Axa.

The high number of accidents has actually nothing to do with the technology, but everything to do with the driving behaviour of the drivers. It is mainly the fast and sharp acceleration that surprises drivers, especially those new to the cars, and leads to accidents.

The current lithium-ion batteries are extremely hard to extinguish. And an electric car has thousands of batteries. For the fire brigade, the only solution is often to immerse the car in a container filled with water for a number of days. There are cases where electric cars were taken out of the water tank after a few days and yet caught fire again. This is a problem that remains a challenge for the manufacturers and the emergency services.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/287315...es-study-shows

OK who here didn't suspect EV drivers of driving like idiots in their "Green" car?
Appreciate 5
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick66610.50
PhaceN52177.50
      07-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #3185
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You haven't even tried. Go ahead and post the information.
I've posted plenty over the last 3000+ posts in this topic alone, I'm not up to the task of scouring them all to re-post.

Quote:
No. I never said it was. I would never claim the ICE was more dangerous without having proof to back it up.
And I've not said that EV's are more dangerous, just that they have more threat vectors = more ways to fail for those that are not well read.

I've owned a lot of battery operated electronic devices in my life, of multipel battery chemistries, over a very long span of time. The only ones I've ever had with "thermal problems" are Li-ion batteries. scaling this up to batteries 100KW+ or more in size is where the problem lies. charging a 1000-3000 pound Li-ion battery in an enclosed residential setting while soundly asleep is a risk some of us are just not ready to take. Those that feel that way aren't crazy.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #3186
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The Filicity Ace Cargo ship that sank last year is also suspected to have been caused by an EV fire. We'll never know, but it's the primary suspicion. That suspicion isn't born out of nothing...
Sure it was . If your EV catches fire in your garage why wouldn't it catch fire at a cargo ship ..
It clearly simple why both Cargo ships caught fire and it won't be the last time .

Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #3187
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Electric cars are involved in 50% more traffic accidents than their petrol and diesel counterparts, according to a study by insurer Axa.

The high number of accidents has actually nothing to do with the technology, but everything to do with the driving behaviour of the drivers. It is mainly the fast and sharp acceleration that surprises drivers, especially those new to the cars, and leads to accidents.

The current lithium-ion batteries are extremely hard to extinguish. And an electric car has thousands of batteries. For the fire brigade, the only solution is often to immerse the car in a container filled with water for a number of days. There are cases where electric cars were taken out of the water tank after a few days and yet caught fire again. This is a problem that remains a challenge for the manufacturers and the emergency services.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/287315...es-study-shows

OK who here didn't suspect EV drivers of driving like idiots in their "Green" car?
Who could've seen that coming, you produce a car that weights about 50% more and accelerates about 50% faster and then are surprised that idiots crash it at higher rates. Nothing to see here folks.....move along.
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
M5Rick66610.50
      07-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #3188
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
None. Not picking on you but have you ever watched an ICE explode? Part of the reason these fires get so much attention is EV's are new, many dislike them, and they don't like any change.

You have proof that EV's are more dangerous than ICE's?

Dude where were you this entire thread?

These people are clueless. Let's monitor this progress in one year increments. I already shitted on another dudes theory back in december 2021 and he remained silent when december 2022 came around.

Let the cheerleaders do their hip hop hooray right now in 2023.

It's not a race it's a rally!

2030 will be the holy chit mang it's actually happening year!
      07-26-2023, 05:05 PM   #3189
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Just google posts made by countless fire departments on how much more dangerous EV car fires are.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ment-can-help/
This doesn't prove the EV is more dangerous. Once there is a fire it is very difficult/dangerous to put out and this fire department needs new equipment to fight it. You need injury statistics, frequency of fires by number produced, something to show that the individual car is more dangerous. Could be the fire itself is more dangerous to fight but the EV rarely catches fire, or they are constantly catching fire and are also far more dangerous fires.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #3190
David70
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've posted plenty over the last 3000+ posts in this topic alone, I'm not up to the task of scouring them all to re-post.
So you have the proof just not the time/interest to look it up? We both know this doesn't make sense.

Quote:

And I've not said that EV's are more dangerous, just that they have more threat vectors = more ways to fail for those that are not well read.
Great, now you point out you also haven't said EV's are more dangerous. Thanks, we both agree. I also haven't said which is more dangerous because I really don't know.

Last edited by David70; 07-26-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
gblansten2394.00