New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I feel for you guys and frankly I am so glad I bought an s30i. This whole HPFP issue has been a real fiasco.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
I feel for you guys and frankly I am so glad I bought an s30i. This whole HPFP issue has been a real fiasco.
I was a bit spooked with all the HPFP rumblings but relieved my 2011 35i build was after that issue. Only open campaign is the Reprogram DCT operations.

Last edited by z4z4z4; 03-24-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: sig
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #25
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Chuck76: Have you gotten your car back from the latest code update and does it still have "office" in the main menu ???

I've only got about 50 miles on my car since the update and everything seems fine so far, except for one really really really strange thing....

Sitting in my office above the garage, my garage electric door suddenly opened all by itself. I ran down and saw no one was around... no planes, no phones no cars etc...
Odd, I just chalked it up to misc RF and forgot about it.

Couple days later in the kitchen, it happened again. This time. I realized that I may have been unconsciously fumbling with my comfort access key that was in my pocket at the time. I also realized that I may have been doing the same the time before. Also, this has NEVER happened before the Z4 software update. I certainly don't plan on trying to explain this to my service rep but I thought some folks here might get a chuckle out of it. Better yet, someone might have some insider info about someone new undeclared feature ??

Clues: Only the door behind the Z4. Not the adjacent door. Older "8 bit" switch selectable frequency garage door opener. I stopped keeping the key in my pocket and it hasn't happened since.

BTW rmorin49: Thanks for the thought but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Kind of like living with a super model that may or may not cheat once in a while. Not perfect but the ride will make you forget any flaws.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
don't have Nav so no comments on it BUT...

Took it in Monday for the HPFP and software update...got it back Monday night, car drove fine ....for 200kms, then the check engine light came on. I was at work so booked it for a check, drove fine on the way home until I stopped at a light near my house (all highway with no stops to this point) , the revs dropped to 200 rpm and it was missing like crazy. Limped it home the last two clicks and called BMW. Loaded it onto a flatdeck and said bye bye. Next day, at BMW, a page of faults and a failed intake pressure sensor and injectors (they were all changed with the HPFP recall).
Today, sensor and injectors replaced , car was running on 3 cylinders,now it's running on 5 cylinders. there's a stuck valve and no compression on cylinder #1. Engine is now taken apart and in pieces and they don't know what happened to cause this issue....

I think just maybe it was the work they did last Monday..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, that sucks! So far mine seems to run fine. Although there are some new characteristics like a whirring noise when I open the door, as if the pump is charging.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Seeing as I have had no issues with the HPFP (touch wood) so far, should I 'honour' the recall notice and take it in for replacement, or just keep enjoying the car and not worry about it until there is an issue?

I would hate to 'fix what isnt broken' and end up with issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Sometimes I just cringe at the thought of taking the car into the dealer. Sickening stories like mcbee's don't help.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #30
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Ok here is the latest update. I took the car back in for a re-code to remove the office functionality. The tech called stated that my comfort access module died and they need to replace it ??? Okay..Um I don't have comfort access so what are you talking about...What it ended up to be was my damn smarttop module messing with the update. So if you have the smartTop, make sure you disable it via blinker or through the USB cable. I'm now wondering if that is the reason I got upgraded to the newer firmware code rev. The tech was attempting to upload firmware and they had the car for two weeks trouble-shooting, until they uploaded the rev that needed the combox and the firmware took.

So they did downgrade the firmware and now I am able to delete my music off the internal HDD, blue-tooth works as should. However one bad problem and one good problem.

Bad problem: My iPhone 4 does not play through the iPod adapter. It states "reading" in external devices and stays stuck until it defaults to radio. I checked with a friends iPod and same symptom. So I had a 3gs lying around with "older firmware" 3.5 and it worked. I'm guessing something with the newer 4.31 iOS on the iphone busted bmw iDrive connectivity.

Good problem: My navigation flip up remembers its last setting. Remember how you close your navi display down and when you start the car up, it flips up automatically, well it recalls the last setting.

I haven't had any issues with the hpfp recall itself. I never really checked if the serial number is different on the hpfp or exactly where it is. Anyone know what model or p/n it should be?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #31
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The fact that the display doesn't pop up every time I start is the best feature ever. That always bugged me.
I am cringing at the tails of things gone wrong here. I am also very fearful when I bring in the car for service. You do your best dealer research then cross your fingers. The dealer I go to looks hospital clean, has good online ratings and behaves very professionally when I go in but they (or the person I deal with) doesn't really address my questions head on so I need to do much of my own research before I go in.

The recall acceptable pumps are two;13 51 7 613 933 and 13 51 7 616 446. The latter being the newer.

My car took a day and a half and runs good but Ive only driven about 50 miles so hopefully there's no surprises ahead.

I do have office and I've never tried the music uploads as I am a non "i" person so far.

I hope things get sorted for you both soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis View Post
The fact that the display doesn't pop up every time I start is the best feature ever. That always bugged me.
I am cringing at the tails of things gone wrong here. I am also very fearful when I bring in the car for service. You do your best dealer research then cross your fingers. The dealer I go to looks hospital clean, has good online ratings and behaves very professionally when I go in but they (or the person I deal with) doesn't really address my questions head on so I need to do much of my own research before I go in.

The recall acceptable pumps are two;13 51 7 613 933 and 13 51 7 616 446. The latter being the newer.

My car took a day and a half and runs good but Ive only driven about 50 miles so hopefully there's no surprises ahead.

I do have office and I've never tried the music uploads as I am a non "i" person so far.

I hope things get sorted for you both soon.

A easy way to test is to see if you can upload music via USB in your glove box. If you can't then you may experience the other problems. Also, does your bluetooth work properly?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My bluetooth works correctly with my basic sony phone. I'll put some tunes on a thumb drive and try to play and upload through the center console and glove box usb ports later this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #34
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can transfer to the car's hard drive into "music collection" from a CD.
I can play music from a thumb drive plugged into the center console usb via "external devices".

Trying to move from the thumb drive in the glove compartment to the hard drive, I can NOT get to the "upload" selection. "CD/Multimedia" to "Music Collection" then press the "Options" button on the console (as followed in manual) just takes me to the "close" and "split screen" selections.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #35
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis View Post
I can transfer to the car's hard drive into "music collection" from a CD.
I can play music from a thumb drive plugged into the center console usb via "external devices".

Trying to move from the thumb drive in the glove compartment to the hard drive, I can NOT get to the "upload" selection. "CD/Multimedia" to "Music Collection" then press the "Options" button on the console (as followed in manual) just takes me to the "close" and "split screen" selections.
Correct, the option is completely missing! That was my issue. Glad your bluetooth works at least. Not sure if you received a different newer code vs what I obtained. I had the code that allowed album images to appear on the screen, which needs the combox.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #36
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I love the "No flip display" feature. I would not trade it for the Glove compartment usb functionality given one or the other. I thought that possibly the mpeg files needed to be in the top level directory of the thumb drive or some quirk like that since I have never used this feature. The mpegs are currently under the album folder which is in the top directory so they are down one level.

I hope you get your car back soon and all it's functionally corrected. I'm anxious to know what office, usb and flip up features you come away with.

I really hope mcbeee gets back to square one with his nightmare. In his case, it sounds more like the dealer service issue than a Z4 issue. At least that's what would make me sleep easier !!! 3 cylinders... 5 cylinders... Gezzzz and I had no intake or pressure sensors changed.
Appreciate 0