New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #23
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
13 years and counting

I've been happily married for 13 years, we have four kids, and I wouldn't change any of that if I'd have the chance to go back and start all over.

What do I think I did right? I took the time to chose the right person, and to know her well before committing; I'm flexible and honest, and she's like that too; we have an open and honest communication on a daily basis; and most importantly, the one I think is the best: we agreed before getting married that we would never go to bed mad at each other, we would make peace before putting our heads on the pillows. Talk about commitment!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #24
shim
shim
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
If you marry the right person to begin with, then its not an issue. I think some people jsut end up rushing into it.

Im not getting married for another decade

well said. i totally agree
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo
Hi folks. I was wondering if there are any truly happily married folks out there anymore? Sure maybe your parents were. I am talking about modern day times. I have yet to meet one. Sometimes people will tell you they are but they usually (in my limited experience) fall into 1 or more of three categories:

1. they are lying/in denial/ too much trouble to divorce
2. they are cheating like crazy to satisfy what they don't get at home
3. they are newlywed and either divorce soon or go into category 1 or 2 soon

What are your thoughts? Am I totally wrong here? I hope so.
You didn't give enough options. How about...
  • They are happily married, but do experience troubled times occasionally

No marriage is perfect; it's constant work. Couples will experience a variety of things that will test the marriage. It truly comes down to whether the couple is willing to work through the tough times, or leave under the pretense that the "grass is greener on the other side"...........which it rarely is.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #26
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Just remember this...

You can't turn a Ho into a Housewife, cuz ho's don't act right! -Luda
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #27
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I met my wife at work, married her two years later, when I was 34, and ten years later, I keep finding things I love about her, and I think she about me. We give each other a ton of space, trust, respect and forgiveness (all that equals love, BTW). We have two beautiful children who we realize need us both.
BTW we're both from "broken" homes, and we don't wish to visit that upon our own children.

I'm so glad I waited to "grow up" a little before I committed to her.

We waited until we had known each other 7 years to have our first child. During those first years we travelled a lot, bought and sold a few houses, and generally had fun together.

I can't believe that I could have spent the last 12 years with the same person, but it's been amazing and I hope we go on another 50 years!

To the OP, the posts from happily married people are not BS. There are troubles from time to time, but if you were ready for marriage in the first place, you'll want to work them through.

Nice to see so many happily married people here!

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #28
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I met my wife at work, married her two years later, when I was 34, and ten years later, I keep finding things I love about her, and I think she about me. We give each other a ton of space, trust, respect and forgiveness (all that equals love, BTW). We have two beautiful children who we realize need us both.
BTW we're both from "broken" homes, and we don't wish to visit that upon our own children.

I'm so glad I waited to "grow up" a little before I committed to her.

We waited until we had known each other 7 years to have our first child. During those first years we travelled a lot, bought and sold a few houses, and generally had fun together.

I can't believe that I could have spent the last 12 years with the same person, but it's been amazing and I hope we go on another 50 years!

To the OP, the posts from happily married people are not BS. There are troubles from time to time, but if you were ready for marriage in the first place, you'll want to work them through.

Nice to see so many happily married people here!
I met my soon to be wife at work - I'm getting married at 34 also. We waited 5 years to our first child. - All I hope is that we are as happy as you sound. Don't see why not!!!

07-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #29
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

I think happy marriages are possible as long the two people have the same values, great communication and committment to one another.

Too many people are in love with the idea of marriage without thinking it though.

And I think a big proble is that people make being a married a goal in life. That's pretty stupid...especially when they put a timeline on it i.e. "I want to be married by age 28."

Marriage is an option in life...not an ultimate goal.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 01:44 AM   #30
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

I was fortunate to have found my best friend and wife. took me 34 years to find her and one other engagement but i found her. The best woman, friend, and mother to my kids I will ever find. I speak to her freely like she is one of my guy friends...tell her things that I wouldnt tell my friends.

It maybe cliche but her and I were truly two peas in a pod...I believe in the institution of marriage. We both work at it and communicate
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 02:34 AM   #31
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yeah we'll we are about to split and we have a 19month old.....sure we'll def remain good friends but in the love dept, there is just nothing there. We "eloped" in Vegas after meeting 8 months earlier....long story short is that her fam was moving and we did want the L/D relationship so we figured what the hell let's give it a shot.....we both realize that its not working and we have agreed on who is getting what and splitting the son every two weeks....I know I will probably get bashed for this, but would you rather raise a son in two seperate happy households or one miserable one?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 02:53 AM   #32
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^
Who are we to judge you? You gotta do what you think is right
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 02:58 AM   #33
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
true but people judging people is the norm nowadays
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 03:41 AM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_2006325i_KG
yeah we'll we are about to split and we have a 19month old.....sure we'll def remain good friends but in the love dept, there is just nothing there. We "eloped" in Vegas after meeting 8 months earlier....long story short is that her fam was moving and we did want the L/D relationship so we figured what the hell let's give it a shot.....we both realize that its not working and we have agreed on who is getting what and splitting the son every two weeks....I know I will probably get bashed for this, but would you rather raise a son in two seperate happy households or one miserable one?

Like the other member said, we're not here to judge you. It does seem as though you entered into a marriage hastily, but there is a child involved now.
Do you truly believe that you're putting the child first? Broken homes are too commonplace nowadays, and rarely do such situations benefit the child. Maybe the problems in your relationship are brought forth because of selfishness, ego, lack of communication and/or compromise from both parties. What efforts have been enacted by you and your wife to attempt to salvage the relationship (..i.e...marriage counseling, church counseling - if you are religious -, self-help literature, etc.)? In today's society, it is apparent that the first instinct in many relationships/marriages is to bail out. Where is the sense of devotion and accountability? Why do so many people have problems dealing with the root issues within the relationship?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #35
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_2006325i_KG
true but people judging people is the norm nowadays

Word
Appreciate 0