New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-24-2024, 04:28 PM   #23
MADZ4U
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 sDRIVE35I

Thanks for your replies.
OK....
I am looking at the MHD super license for the N54 engine, which they state is compatible for the z4 s-drive 35i. The cost is around $330. I am assuming that comes with the OBD-II port connection?
Is that all I need or do I need additional licenses to get Stage 1 upgrade?

I will be purchasing VRSF downpipes and a charge pipe and a blow-off valve.

I am making an assumption because it is a 2009 there will not be any concern with removing the CATs from the original downpipe to pass inspection.

And having the MHD software, would it be possible to de-tune it for the inspection?

Thanks again. Appreciate all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 03:17 AM   #24
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADZ4U View Post
Thanks for your replies.
OK....
I am looking at the MHD super license for the N54 engine, which they state is compatible for the z4 s-drive 35i. The cost is around $330. I am assuming that comes with the OBD-II port connection?

I am making an assumption because it is a 2009 there will not be any concern with removing the CATs from the original downpipe to pass inspection.

And having the MHD software, would it be possible to de-tune it for the inspection?

If you buy their super license you will need their wi-fi dongle as well..make sure you get the correct version for E series cars…

The MHD s/w can be completely removed and restored as many times as you wish..

Not aware of US legislation on emission checks..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 11:59 AM   #25
craniac24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.
OK....

All you need is the super license, and the Wi-Fi dongle which is sold separately.

Your very first flash should take probably around 20 minutes. Map changes once MHD is installed should take no more than three minutes. Very easy to change maps or flashback to stock whenever you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2024, 06:06 PM   #26
MADZ4U
Rep

Thanks for the information.

Because I have a 2009 vehicle, I don't have to meet the USA emissions standards. It's exempted because of its age. So I am purchasing the downpipes, eliminating the CATS, and should not have any problems with the emissions.

I'm looking at purchasing the MHD software and I'm looking at getting an OBD2 bluetooth scanner. I'm making an assumption that I can purchase the scanner from someone other than MHD. Is that correct?

Has anyone else done this?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 06:57 AM   #27
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Because I have a 2009 vehicle, I don't have to meet the USA emissions standards. It's exempted because of its age. So I am purchasing the downpipes, eliminating the CATS, and should not have any problems with the emissions.

I'm looking at purchasing the MHD software and I'm looking at getting an OBD2 bluetooth scanner. I'm making an assumption that I can purchase the scanner from someone other than MHD. Is that correct?

Has anyone else done this?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
The OBD2 scanner and its associated dongle can be completely independent of MHD..BUT…pls make sure the specfic dongle is supported by MHD FOR YOUR MODEL ..as a rule of thumb if it’s good enough for MHD it’s good enough for anyone else..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 11:12 AM   #28
Drummer$Dude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 E89 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
The OBD2 scanner and its associated dongle can be completely independent of MHD..BUT…pls make sure the specfic dongle is supported by MHD FOR YOUR MODEL ..as a rule of thumb if it’s good enough for MHD it’s good enough for anyone else..
B21 is absolutely correct.

I purchased the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth OBD II Scanner Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS & Android, Bluetooth 4.0 Car Check Engine Light Code Reader from Amazon which works great with BimmerCode and BimmerLink, but VeePeak says it's not compatible with MHD.

I would go with the MHD adapter.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 05:35 PM   #29
MADZ4U
Rep

...Well I have all the hardware to install prior to the software. I've got the turbo intercooler, the straight pipes without the converters, the aluminum chargepipes, and the blowoff valve, which I will be installing this weekend.

The next thing I will be purchasing will be the MHD software.

It will be interesting to see how much increase in performance I have without the software. I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 05:37 PM   #30
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
...Well I have all the hardware to install prior to the software. I've got the turbo intercooler, the straight pipes without the converters, the aluminum chargepipes, and the blowoff valve, which I will be installing this weekend.

The next thing I will be purchasing will be the MHD software.

It will be interesting to see how much increase in performance I have without the software. I'll let you know.
My guess is 5-15 BHP..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 07:39 PM   #31
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

My guess is also that the gains will be minimal without a tune. Stock tune will still target stock boost pressure level thats around 7.5 psi or something like that... this would not change without a tune... and even stage 1 tunes basically double that peak boost to 15psi... so tune is the key.

You will get some gains due to cooler air going into the engine because of better cooling from the intercooler and maybe from the better flowing exhaust but those are minimal... The IAT difference between stock and aftermarket intercooler becomes more obvious when you push more boost through it...

Also if you install catless downpipes without a tune installed, then you will get a check engine light and error codes... Stage 2 tunes that are meant to work with catless downpipes fix that issue and basically code those errors out... Even with stage 1 maps you will still get these errors.

Im planning on going stage 2+ next month... Ordered chargepipe and forge diverter valves already... still need to order downpipes... with those im going to order VRSF 335i high flow catted versions and mod them to fit on the Z4...
basically have to modify the exhaust side flange, turn it 90 degrees to get the holes to match...

On s p o o l s t r e e t forum i found a couple of EU guys from Netherlands and Finland who had done just that. Thread has pictures comparing Z4 vrsf catless and 335i vrsf sport cat downpipes as one guy ordered both planning to cut them both up to make them fit on the z4. In the end he just modded the exhaust flange on the 335i pipes and, i guess, sold the catless z4 pipes as he did not need to touch them at all.
I also talked to a local e93 335i owner who runs stage 2+ on his n54 car and he had those vrsf catted versions on his car and said that he passes emissions nicely with no problems.. just get some heat in them first and flash to stage 0 which is basically a stock map.

So this is the way forward... i havent put catless pipes on mine just because i would hate to switch back to stock downpipes once every year just to pass inspections... to much of a hassle..
2009 35i DCT Havana brown with ivory white interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1+FMIC, Wagner EVO1 FMIC, BMS DCI, Forge DV-s, Masata Chargepipe, KW V3 suspension, M3 front control arms, Hardrace RTABS + balljoints, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Last edited by KennyP; 06-04-2024 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 02:29 AM   #32
B21
Captain
Rep

In the UK the Z4 N54 will get through the emission check using the secondary cats only..by a 50% margin..with primary cats it passes with a 500% margin..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 06:46 AM   #33
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Dont know about the margins here... Never asked about it during inspection, and they never inform people about it... I will ask about it next inspection...

Also it seems like Forge Motorsport n54 diverter valve kits have been discontinued by Forge. I tried ordering a set from ML Performance in uk and they said so. On Forge homepage they are still listed but out of stock. Ended up buying them from a french tuningparts shop and even there i seem to have got my hands on the last kit they had as its not listed on their site anymore after my purchase.
So whoever still wants them may want to act fast. Also Forge sells service kits and springs for these and im not sure if they will still offer these or are they also going to be discontinued.... Forge did note to service them like every 30k miles or something like that...
2009 35i DCT Havana brown with ivory white interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1+FMIC, Wagner EVO1 FMIC, BMS DCI, Forge DV-s, Masata Chargepipe, KW V3 suspension, M3 front control arms, Hardrace RTABS + balljoints, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 08:13 AM   #34
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Dont know about the margins here... Never asked about it during inspection, and they never inform people about it... I will ask about it next inspection...

Also it seems like Forge Motorsport n54 diverter valve kits have been discontinued by Forge. I tried ordering a set from ML Performance in uk and they said so. On Forge homepage they are still listed but out of stock. Ended up buying them from a french tuningparts shop and even there i seem to have got my hands on the last kit they had as its not listed on their site anymore after my purchase.
So whoever still wants them may want to act fast. Also Forge sells service kits and springs for these and im not sure if they will still offer these or are they also going to be discontinued.... Forge did note to service them like every 30k miles or something like that...
I suspect he service kit is pretty generic..third party goodies reach a zenith a few years after the car hits the market then decline..the Ohlins R&T suspension is no longer available…it was worse with N20 powered E89s..most of their support has rapidly deteriorated unless it’s a product fit that suits other E89s or other BMWs..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 05:41 PM   #35
MADZ4U
Rep

Hi again,
Ok, the downpipes and the charge pipe were from VRSF, and I ordered them from them directly to get free shipping and a discount (US). This company had the charge pipes and downpipes specifically for the 2009 Z4 so I got them expecting there wouldn't be any difficulty installing them.
The quality of the pipes seems very good. I also purchased the exhaust gaskets for the turbo and downpipe.
But, the installation is not for an amateur.
I wanted to show the installation with photographs, but I don't know how to add photos on this forum. You can go on Youtube and see a very good installation for the 335i. But, there are quite a few differences for the Z4.
In the US, because the year of my vehicle is 2009, I don't have to worry about passing emissions. So the VRSF pipes are strictly straight through (no catalytic converter).
Still, there are multiple disassembly of parts just to get access to the original pipes.
Briefly, you need to take the two stress bars off (which is simple). Then you need to remove the bolts from the steering and slide it away from the brackets and drop down. Then you need to take off the heat shield that protects the steering rubber on the passenger side (US model). Then disconnect the O2 sensor connections in the engine bay (underneath the hood), so that when you take the pipes down the wires will follow the pipe without removing the o2 sensors from the top part of the exhaust. Photos would help explain if someone wants to tell me how to add them.
Obviously, once you get the bracket that holds the downpipes to the turbos you need to make note of where the bolt is to the bracket for reinstallation. Once the brackets are off, you have to fanangle the downpipe thru the bottom of the car. The first pipe you take off is easy. The second pipe is hell.
And you have to be very careful when taking these pipes down not to damage the O2 sensors, especially when removing them from the original pipes.
Maybe you guys already know this. I just know you have to be careful with these O2 sensors.
The next step is the software purchase. And install the stage 2 application so I eliminate the check engine light, which has appeared now.
I'll leave it at this for now.
More info to come later.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 05:36 AM   #36
Y888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4 35i mineral weiss,ml 350cdi

will mhd eliminate check engine light?
any side effects from having non working o2 sensor because it measures and adjusts the air/fuel ratio?
      06-17-2024, 06:45 AM   #37
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

it should...
There are 4 sensors... 2 before cats and 2 after catalytic converters... First ones are called "regulating lambda probe" and the ones after cat are called "Lambda monitor sensor".. Engine works off the regulating sensors... and if you install catless downpipes the error comes from monitoring sensors... at least thats how i understand it...

Last edited by KennyP; 06-17-2024 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #38
MADZ4U
Rep

With the straight through pipes it still gives you the O2 sensor installation but obviously one of the O2 sensors is prior to the catalytic converter. And the second one is just past it.
THen as what Kenny said, there is another 2 more O2 sensors further down the pipe.
Without the MHD license, you get an engine check light. I have purchased the MHD wifi adapter, which I will be installing to make sure everything is alright. Then I will purchase the MHD software.
Looking at the reviews on the MHD wifi adapter, the reviews are very positive.
Still haven't figured out how to put photos on here.... Any advice on that?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2024, 03:52 AM   #39
Y888
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
With the straight through pipes it still gives you the O2 sensor installation but obviously one of the O2 sensors is prior to the catalytic converter. And the second one is just past it.
THen as what Kenny said, there is another 2 more O2 sensors further down the pipe.
Without the MHD license, you get an engine check light. I have purchased the MHD wifi adapter, which I will be installing to make sure everything is alright. Then I will purchase the MHD software.
Looking at the reviews on the MHD wifi adapter, the reviews are very positive.
Still haven't figured out how to put photos on here.... Any advice on that?
you need to go image hosting site and upload then just post a link
      06-24-2024, 07:54 PM   #40
MADZ4U
Rep

OK...I have the MHD WiFi connector, but I cannot get it to have a permanent connection to my Pixel 8. I'm following the instructions but the options don't seem compatible with my phone. Is this because of the phone?

Every time when the instructions say to select "Read DME Codes" and I do that, the light on the MHD wifi connector goes out.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 03:45 PM   #41
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
OK...I have the MHD WiFi connector, but I cannot get it to have a permanent connection to my Pixel 8. I'm following the instructions but the options don't seem compatible with my phone. Is this because of the phone?

Every time when the instructions say to select "Read DME Codes" and I do that, the light on the MHD wifi connector goes out.

Usually it’s caused by either the phone switching it’s wi-fi to another Wi-Fi source or the Bluetooth latching on to something…I’d disable the Bluetooth and ask the wifi to forget all other wi-fi signals around you …and…make sure no other device is using inadvertently the mid wi-fi signal…

I’m using a 5 year old Chinese android device perfectly so a more modern one should be fine..also if you have an Apple device you can try that..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 05:06 PM   #42
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:

You need to update the firmware on the dongle. I had the same issue, there's some kind of bug with certain Android phones where they block traffic on the port that the adapter uses for comms.

Contact MHD support and they should point you in the right direction. If you don't get any response from them I can just upload the firmware they sent me.
Appreciate 1
B21219.50
      06-25-2024, 05:19 PM   #43
Y888
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You need to update the firmware on the dongle. I had the same issue, there's some kind of bug with certain Android phones where they block traffic on the port that the adapter uses for comms.

Contact MHD support and they should point you in the right direction. If you don't get any response from them I can just upload the firmware they sent me.
how do u update it? you connect your laptop to bt of the dongle?
      07-01-2024, 06:32 PM   #44
MADZ4U
Rep

I was following the instructions I found online and I think I overcomplicated what needed to be done.

The main thing is you need to make sure you have your phone in airplane mode and also when you go to the wi-fi option on the phone, you must make sure that all the other wi-fi connections are disabled except for the MHD Can. It will say it has no internet connection, but it is actually connected to the phone, which is what you want.

I just followed the instructions for the stage II plus, which matched the hardware that I had already installed, and made sure that the car battery was hooked up to the charger. You also need to make sure that your phone is fully charged!

Once I got into the Stage II program, I selected the options I needed, and you basically just hit the Full Write icon and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to install the new MHD firmware.

There were some interesting notes that you have to stick to, like don't open the car doors once you start installing. You can't do anything to interrupt the software that is being installed. Otherwise it could have issues driving.

Haven't taken it for a drive yet because we had some rain, but everything looks good so far. No engine codes (fingers crossed). And I plan to take it for a test drive tomorrow (to verify the performance) and I will let you know.
Appreciate 1
B21219.50