New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-12-2024, 06:47 PM   #45
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Route soot exhaust into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:47 PM   #46
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Your sources always crack me up. I thought it was irony at first.
There might be a thread to question my sources but you picked the wrong one. This is about lawsuits against the EPA, Who should I quote? Green Peace, National Audubon Society, Nature Conservancy or the DNC?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:03 PM   #47
murderspice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
There might be a thread to question my sources but you picked the wrong one. This is about lawsuits against the EPA, Who should I quote? Green Peace, National Audubon Society, Nature Conservancy or the DNC?
People who actually know things don’t have to quote other people.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:59 PM   #48
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
CARB is California, not EPA. States can voluntarily elect to follow CARB. So far, 15 states have implemented CARB into their laws.

There are CARB approved parts and there are parts that meet the EPA Tampering Policy. There are PLENTY of companies out there that sell CARB and EPA compliant parts including tuning devices that add power, aftermarket turbos and superchargers, etc. You simply have to demonstrate and document compliance. Many reputable companies have and are doing that.

Yeah, it's harder to start an aftermarket performance parts company without a lot of cash because of CARB, EPA, CAA, etc. requirements, but that pretty much goes for any business that makes auto parts or anything for that matter that must meet industry or regulatory standards.
Cool story. Next you'll tell me that California isn't using it's status to influence nationwide change. Then you'll tell me that the red tape to get something CARB approved is oh-so-easy. Then you'll mention that other states don't have to follow it if they don't want to. It's an artificial barrier to entry that snuffs out innovation and business, pure and simple. Go ahead and check out the due diligence requirements to get CARB approval and get back to me.

Straight up, this is why this shitty country is this way. On both aisles you have people with the head way too far up their ass to see what's actually going on while everything deteriorates around them. I fuckin love hyper-partisian my team is better than your team mentalities.
      03-12-2024, 08:13 PM   #49
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Certain aftermarket companies and shops are breaking the law by developing software and installing parts that defeat emissions controls. That's illegal. Period. Simple as that. It doesn't matter if it's 3 cars or 4 million. These individuals (including the buyers) are breaking the law and they know it.

This whole thing stemmed originally stemmed from EPA figuring out that a majority of the automakers and engine control companies had developed and were employing emissions defeat devices on millions of engines. That is just bonkers to me to think so many companies were doing this and for such a long time. Many knew other companies were doing it and willfully decided to do the same since no one had been caught and they saw the $$$. No until some college students figured it out did EPA and CARB actually get clued into it.

Point being, you rarely can trust industry to do the right thing. Profit over most anything, in most cases.
And this is exactly why these idiots shouldn't be making rules. They didn't understand their OWN TESTS as well as the industry, got mad that the industry figured out the test, and created a testing mode. It wasn't a defeat device, it was a case of industry being smarter than unelected bureaucrats, and the bureaucrats getting mad.

I think it proves that the EPA testing was horribly flawed, and that they can't be trusted to create an acceptable test, or reasonable requirements.

Like an elementary school basketball team getting beat by Charles Barkley in a pickup game, you can't be mad when you're outmatched, yet the EPA was.

Last edited by BlkGS; 03-12-2024 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 09:15 PM   #50
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Cool story. Next you'll tell me that California isn't using it's status to influence nationwide change. Then you'll tell me that the red tape to get something CARB approved is oh-so-easy. Then you'll mention that other states don't have to follow it if they don't want to. It's an artificial barrier to entry that snuffs out innovation and business, pure and simple. Go ahead and check out the due diligence requirements to get CARB approval and get back to me.

Straight up, this is why this shitty country is this way. On both aisles you have people with the head way too far up their ass to see what's actually going on while everything deteriorates around them. I fuckin love hyper-partisian my team is better than your team mentalities.
Not wrong at all. Both sides have an endless push for the next step in their agendas too. They're not content with a change they support, they treat everything as "utter domination is all that is acceptable".
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 01:49 PM   #51
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [10.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
And when the SCOTUS knocks down the Chevron Standard this will all be over... Acronym agencies won't have any power not specifically granted to it by Congress & Law! No more setting ridiculous standards, outside a LAW, no more creating arbitrary fine schedules outside LAW... Pick any acronym agency that has run amok and rejoice that it'll be put in Check Soon!
If they ever get off their butts and make their decision. I forget what case that is.
      03-23-2024, 10:27 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
The EPA Is Targeting Aftermarket Car Modifications
March 3, 2024
The EPA has provided some clarification about certain items it considers defeat devices. In a memo issued on November 3, 2020 it says “tuners” which “change the ECU… might be an illegal aftermarket defeat device, the use or installation of which might constitute illegal tampering.”
In that same memo, the EPA does let everyone know that there’s no point during the life of a car when tampering with the many emissions-related devices as defined by the agency is okay. Even if you pull the engine or other equipment from a vehicle that’s been wrecked, you still have to play by the rules as defined by the EPA or else.
The agency proudly trots out recent examples of its and the Department of Justice’s enforcement efforts. One involves fining Borla $1,022,500 in 2022 for the sin of manufacturing and selling aftermarket exhausts designed for the removal of catalytic converters.

Big names in the aftermarket world have been caught in this squeeze, like Summit Racing, which settled for $600,000 last summer. Parts iD was hit for $500,000 while Keystone Automotive, the owner of Warn and other off-road brands, incurred a $2.5 million penalty.

New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Bureau of Mobile Sources & Air Compliance & Enforcement is combing through Facebook Marketplace for illegally modified vehicles for sale. Agents reportedly have contacted the owners and [...]
Get.over your fucking self. Tampering with emissions components on "on road" vehicles has been illegal for longer than you've been alive. Karen's getting their panties in a wad when enforcement starts occuring.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:57 PM   #53
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
When the emissions become so insane even the OEM's can't make them work, there is a problem. NONE of these "standards" were set by law, they are being set by Green Idiots embedded in the bureaucracy.

Hotrodding has been a tradition EVERYWHERE since wheels were invented, power hungry idiots taking it away is wrong, period. The standard should be this: keep cats on specced for the HP, have EGR or EGR capture device and gas tank evac cannister. Keep those three things and have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBvB9u9prg
Ah got it. "I don't like the degree of emissions regulation so the law doesn't apply to me."

Appreciate 1
chris7197535.00
      03-23-2024, 02:31 PM   #54
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am purifying my body by drinking lots of water … half the water supply is contaminated and most of the water in plastic bottles has microplastics.

For years the government had the food pyramid upside down. Eat lots of pasta — it is low fat.

Don’t put your faith blindly in government bureaucrats. Also beware the capitalists who care more about their money than your health. Their lobbyists are higher paid and in greater number than your lobbyists.
Appreciate 3
BigHunk282.00
AmuroRay2850.00
      03-23-2024, 05:24 PM   #55
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When idiots with an agenda make the regulation, not law, then they should be fought and rolled back.
And what agenda is that specifically?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #56
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Again, won't matter once the SCOTUS rules on the Chevron Case and overturns it... All acronym agencies will be reeled in and these ridiculous rules and edicts will be a thing of the past, let alone arbitrary fines and seizures!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #57
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Again, won't matter once the SCOTUS rules on the Chevron Case and overturns it... All acronym agencies will be reeled in and these ridiculous rules and edicts will be a thing of the past, let alone arbitrary fines and seizures!
Yeah it'll be great when DuPont, Chemours, 3M, etc. can dump more chemicals in your bodies of water without fear of consequences.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 07:54 PM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The one where you ride a bike or walk. The Greens don't give two shits about the poor or anyone else in the way. You'll do what you're permitted to do and be thankful for it. Just listen to what they say, they're not shy about what they want.
Why would they want you to ride a bike or walk?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 07:56 PM   #59
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Ahem.

Didn't Jortho just give their student loan ruling the finger?
      03-23-2024, 07:57 PM   #60
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
The one where you ride a bike or walk. The Greens don't give two shits about the poor or anyone else in the way. You'll do what you're permitted to do and be thankful for it. Just listen to what they say, they're not shy about what they want.
But shoes and bicycle tires release microplastics when they wear. We can't have that.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2024, 05:12 PM   #61
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
And what agenda is that specifically?
Bro, you're abrasive AND you're wrong.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2024, 06:02 PM   #62
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
I was amazed when I joined here and saw open posting about no cats and tuning. Those topics have been off limits in the online Mustang world for years. The EPA's view is that touching any part connected to the motor is illegal tampering of emissions device. Real world talking to localish shop owners is that as long as you leave the cats and PCV on you're a low priority. Those shop owners also report what are clearly EPA fishing calls asking if you will remove cats or tune a car that they gutted the cats on. The local diesel shops won't touch tampering with a 10 foot pole, the Feds don't play one bit on that.
Not sure what forums you frequent but Mustang6G had all kinds of modding talk including catless. Realistically the federal govt coming after an individual car isn't worth the time. They go after the shops producing the mods which is evident in the OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:37 PM   #63
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Bro, you're abrasive AND you're wrong.
I'm not your bro. This board doesn't need conspiratorial bullshit threads.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:25 PM   #64
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
If the shops and tuning devices are gone, how many realistically can tune and mod a car? Answer: not enough to make parts for. The Feds have made clear they don't give a hoot and hollar about the auto performance aftermarket.

They went after one muffler company and Mustang catless mid-pipes went poof from every manufacturer.
Your response reads like you disagree but everything you said agrees 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:12 PM   #65
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I'm not your bro. This board doesn't need conspiratorial bullshit threads.
The term conspiracy theory was created by the CIA. Glad to see you can think for* yourself.

How indoctrinated do you have to be to get upset over things?

Last edited by AmuroRay; 03-24-2024 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:27 PM   #66
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The term conspiracy theory was created by the CIA. Glad to see you can think got yourself.

How indoctrinated do you have to be to get upset over things?
What makes you think I'm indoctrinated?

It's amazing how a group of people resort to conspiracies (an argument based on faith) because they lack the ability to offer a valid counter point using reason, logic, and facts.

Appreciate 0