New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

The better question is... why would you rent from someone who requires all this information?

I refuse to show anyone my paychecks or give them much information at all. I have the money (willing to show proof of funds but nothing more) and I am more than willing to meet in person and talk. If a potential seller / etc wants more then I am not interested.

An apartment is an apartment. If the renter doesn't pay then kick him out... simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Before I answer I want the following paragraph to be read:

Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability).

It appears that the Realtor is fishing and wants to try and find out things they are not allowed to ask, the photo in my opinion is a dead giveaway for race and the biography in my opinion is an open request for familial status and also fishing for sexual orientation, national origin, religion and age. It might be an innocent mistake, but if it is, it is a really stupid mistake and could prove a very costly one for both the Realtor and the property owner.

There is an Agency agreement in place which basically means whatever the Realtor says, the owner is responsible for and whatever the owner says the Realtor is responsible for.

I think the local board of Realtors/Real Estate Commission/HUD might be the best bet to see if any ethic/potential discriminatory violations are happening here.

This is a very huge and costly lawsuit just waiting to happen. It will probably also cost the Realtor her job and license.

Also, in my state all disclosures are required to be made upfront not after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Since it got deleted, As I already said, you can't ask SPECIFICALLY about religious practices, that along with race, martial status sexual orientation ETC are all prohibited by law, everything NOT prohibited by law oyu may ask about, so long as you ask EVERYONE.

No law is broken unless the landlord uses that information to unfairly discriminate as provided by the law under conditions not specifically prohibited but falling under more general laws.

As an example the landlord is perfectly within his rights to ask what you do on sundays, if that reveals you're not christian, it's perfectly legal, if he doesn't rent to you because of that it's illegal. If you can prove it (good luck) then you have him.

So yes asking for a bio is legal as it's not prohibited by law, only IF and WHEN he uses that information to discriminate against you is he breaking the law. In the meantime it's perfectly legal for him to ask.
      08-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I did not say they are doing anything illegal. The Realtor is acting in a very dubious manner and I for one would not risk my Real Estate career duplicating him or her.

OP was given this information by a Realtor not a landlord and as a Realtor they really should know better. I know that every time I go to a class which includes ethics, we are warned about how to word ads and reminded how many frivolous lawsuits there are against Realtors because of poorly worded ads and statements.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
I did not say they are doing anything illegal. The Realtor is acting in a very dubious manner and I for one would not risk my Real Estate career duplicating him or her.

OP was given this information by a Realtor not a landlord and as a Realtor they really should know better. I know that every time I go to a class which includes ethics, we are warned about how to word ads and reminded how many frivolous lawsuits there are against Realtors because of poorly worded ads and statements.
Not in response to you, in response to some of the things my friend posted that got deleted. Such as claiming they can't ask for the bio because the "law does not say that he can"
      08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #28
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry, I thought you were directly replying to the post above you
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
An apartment is an apartment. If the renter doesn't pay then kick him out... simple as that.
Not nearly that simple. It isn't "just an apartment" to the landlord. It is his property that he is looking to protect and make money on. A little more stringent screening process potentially leads to far less problems and complications for the landlord. Solid tenants lead to less turnover and more profit for the landlord. It is such a pita to deal with vacant apartments or repairing the damage that less stellar tenants leave behind. Ask me how I know.

There is nothing wrong with screening your tenants so that you have people that are going to take care of your property and pay their rent on time.

I don't see the issue with the picture at all. Having the landlord and his staff being able to visually identify actual tenants is a good thing. Definitely would help with security.

There is next to zero chance that you would ever be able to prove that the landlord was discriminating against a person anyways. There is nothing that states just because you have cash means a landlord has to allow you to live there. They could find a multitude of other reasons to deny an application.

BTW, how many units in the complex? Is every tenant white/black/brown/purple? Difficult to say the form is potentially discriminatory based on race if the tenant mix says otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Also remember that realtors that are dealing with "rentals" are the bottom of the totem pole for Real Estate agents.

Most rentals are handled by management companies that are full of the realtors that can't/don't want to make it as a Residential/Commercial agent.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #31
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
I'm trying to rent an apt with a friend and i've done some renting in the past but nothing close to what the realtor is asking of me to do this time.. this seems a bit weird to me.. anyone have any input? is this normal? the application asks me to attach a PICTURE of myself? and also attach a copy of my credit report that I have to obtain myself.. usually don't they run it for you?

i included a screenshot of part of the application..

thanks.
Let me give you some insight ( im an agent )

These requirements might be asked by the agents office or more regularly the apartment complex you want to lease. Ive heard of such requirements before and they are usually for upscale apartment leases. From my experience everything sounds about right. I really would consider all of this a positive. Them asking for your picture can be for security reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #32
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm not in real estate, but I have rented my fair share of apartments in the past. I'll say this: I would NEVER willingly divulge so much personal information. Unless this is the only available apartment within 50 miles, I would inform them what I am willing to share (SS #, proof of employment, letter of rec, etc.) and what I am not willing to share (family and personal life), and see what they have to say. Perhaps offer them a face-to-face interview instead. Good luck

EDIT: I'll also add that any rental agency with this many guidelines is probably bad news. Certain guidelines are fine, but if they are this incredibly anal about the application process, things can only get worse if you are accepted. I would steer clear if you can.
Appreciate 0