View Single Post
      09-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I don't see why not. I wouldn't call the 1 series a "premium" car, and they're priced reasonably well (ignoring the always too expensive BMW options). If BMW makes it close to the Z4 in price, why even bring it out at all? Don't forget the fwd cars that they'll be bringing out - they're going to be offering more bread-and butter cars than ever soon.

My guess is that they will start off with a "stripped" version going a couple of g's above a middle of the road Miata, and then offer the usual options to get it to where most Americans would get it. At least I hope so; still hate i-drive, and the whole point of a small, lightweight convertible should be about the driving experience, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Well, a stripped 128i coupe starts at $30K. For the same money you could get a base 370z, or loaded Genesis V6 Coupe. The 1er has leather and an ipod adapter, but little else. I would say this is premium pricing for what you are getting. I seriously doubt they will start a Z2 at $28K(which is 2K over a mid range MX-5 "touring"). $35k would not be encroaching on the Z4 at all as it starts at $46K. Lots of room to have an "entry level" BMW roadster in the mid 30's.
Appreciate 0