View Single Post
      04-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #32
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yes the HPFP on an F1 engine makes the regulated max fuel pressure of 500 bar. The HPFP on my n55 m2 makes a max of 200 bar, and the s55 about 260 bar. So pretty much double the pressure that DI street cars see (I think the F10 m5 runs around the same pressure as the s55 but likely more due to it requiring 8 injectors vs 6).

However those lines from the HPFP to the direct injectors tend to be made of stainless steel piping not hosing, because hoses can't tolerate 500 bar of pressure (even on street cars it is stainless steel), and the failure is reported to be from the lift pump or low pressure side to the high pressure pump. This low pressure side is much much much lower in pressure, as its job is to deliver volume and the HPFP's job is to pressurize it.

So the main focus is on the LPFP side, sure pressure isn't as high as the HPFP but it can still fail if the material was too weak due to weight savings, or it could have been a bad connection who knows. But my point is this is the side where expertise should be the highest from all the knowledge of port injection and prior f1 engine building. So it would be really strange to see this part fail because it is really common now, and probably not as changed as the HPFP parts. Maybe the ethanol weakened the hose, but I doubt that they would use anything not made of teflon or teflon lined.
Isn't it 5 bar not 500. ie 5 bar equals 72.5 psi.
Appreciate 2
NYG10840.50