View Single Post
      11-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #539
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
How much time do you figure you have in the project?
Always depends on the car. Different manufacturers have different obstacles. The Infiniti was great to work with for the window trim. Rubber on all sides of the chrome, for the most part. This makes cutting easy and the cut edges can be tucked inside the rubber. Looks completely factory installed. This also comes at a cost of labor time, as it then becomes time consuming. From prep time, measuring, cutting and install, this took me about 6 hours. When I did the E93, it took considerably less time. Smaller pieces of chrome due to convertible origami top. Nissan is notorious for large ass body panels, window trim is the same. I remember cutting two pieces at 9" W X 37" L, front doors top trim. The Lexus, I can do all 4 doors/10 pieces in about 3.5-4 hours.

The girlfriend assisted with holding lights, taking the trash out of my hand, taking the heat gun away from me (so I didn't burn myself - still did), and agreeing with me about what bastards the things that annoy me are. Had this not been the girlfriends car, I would have charged $200 for the install.

There are small things that can be done to save time. When you cut the vinyl, you know you will need another piece the same size, cut two them. By the time you're finished with the first side, you already have the pieces cut for the second. No need for measuring and cutting again. Having the right tools are essential as well.

Last edited by King Rudi; 11-15-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 1