08-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #97
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I think the difference in our thought process is how we see the M brand and the BMW brand.

I don't think comparing Ferrari prestige to M brand prestige is apples to apples. Ferrari to BMW maybe, and BMW does what you say. They made $130,000 M cars, but they also make $35,000 family sedans.

I think for the general market, the M brand doesn't have the global prestige a lot of this forum think it does. Most of my non car friends don't know what an M is. (Though you're probably right that if they saw an M240i next to an M6 they would probably assume a similar pedigree)

I do see your point about the market size, but then I have to somewhat contradict myself and say that the base of consumers that already is shopping BMW is (just based on the fact that BMW is doing it) can't (or doesn't want to) afford an M car, but CAN afford this 'cool' M Package. So it's Selling the same amount of cars, but increasing revenue.

Even with BMW pandering to people who want the cool M look without the M price, I'm still not sure that someone shopping for an M3 is going to pass on the car because the M340i exists. Especially with how down their nose a lot of the M ownership acts even towards the general BMW population. The cars are still extra special because they want them to be.
The Ferrari example was definitely extreme but it was just to illustrate that a lot of people that spend a hefty amount of money on a vehicle do care about branding and the status that comes with it. While M cars aren't the same level, they're still beyond the average car buyer's price range.

I think that for guys/ladies like us, we're obviously looking for more than just an M badge so it doesn't really matter to us. While BMW makes more sales with fake M cars, they'll inevitably lose sales on real M cars as a result. Remember all the articles back when the M550 came out and out accelerated the previous gen M5? They were basically calling everyone stupid for even getting an M5. Everyone ate that nonsense up even though the M550 wasn't half the car the M5 was. My M Performance 440 probably accelerates faster than my M4CS in most driving conditions and it does it consistently. It's still a complete joke of a sports car (compared to the M4) where it matters and I've tracked that pig before too.

The average buyer just bypasses the M and settles on a more affordable fake M. So BMW sells more cars in general but begins to care less about making real M cars. None of our cars are built ground-up to be sports cars. I've already spent a ridiculous amount of money on my M4 to get it where it should have been and I'm probably not even done yet. I just know for a fact that unless BMW makes a miracle happen, there's no chance I'd pay in the 85k range for a G80/G82 when I could have a tracked out C8 Stingray for 70-75K that was actually built to perform, not modified to perform. Or spend a little more and get a Porsche.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00