08-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #151
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
I'd say that most people would put the amp in and call it a day - that is - if a specific sound file is installed/available for the z4.
To my knowledge there isn't a specific Z4 file, at least from bimmertech ... they sent me an F30 file, which we know doesn't have 6.5" footwells and the woofers are under seat, et cetera. Hopefully when I'm done, I'll be able to post my file with my specific configuration. And I may have someone with significant DSP experience, locally, do the tune. That's TBD though, as I'm not there yet.

Quote:
Or be lazy like I was and have a shop do all of this for you...
I actually considered this, but given the alcantara interior in my car I was concerned about someone screwing up panels ... and I know how these cars are assembled so I was more comfortable doing the work myself. BTW for those doing their own speaker installs, the Bavsound E89 Z4 video for Stage 1 coupled with the Z4-forum post on the subs ... I think the DIY is doable. But yeah I quality sound shop would do a great job I'm sure.

Quote:
Putting this amp in with zero configuration drove me nuts, as I tried it :-). It actually sounds worse than stock (as expected). Obviously Bavsound does not have a file for our cars, and they have only sold 2 of these amps, so they are probably not too concerned about any of this. I'd dare say 75% of the people getting this amp will never tune it farther than the stock configuration, regardless.
Drove you nuts, eh? So just to be clear, Bavsound won't sell this for the Z4. They actually sent me to bimmertech directly. Who sold two of these (at least that I know) and are rectifying a cabling issue.

Quote:
Lots of rambling, but on the e38 board, we saw a lot of new blood coming in when the price point got below ~$10k, and the modding was much more active. Will be interesting to see what happens here....
It is ironic (about these E89 Z4's) that they are no longer in production and we are still discovering these nuances in the cars. I'm kind of amazed, actually ...

Filippo