07-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #143
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstears View Post
Also, I was wondering about disconnecting the center channel and reassigning it for the midbass woofer. My understanding is that the head unit on the 676 sound system is always processing music in surround sound. We can't turn it off. So how much of the left and right channel is being sent to the center speaker? Is it redundant sound? Or will is it filtering sound out of the left and right channels for the center channel? I'm wondering if you will be missing out on sound by removing it. I believe the bavsound stage one upgrade includes a center channel replacement speaker which could mean it's important enough to upgrade.
I had a sneaky suspicion the "other" Z4 bimmertech amp guy would surface ... Lurcher ostensibly has the same amp, and also a unique set of speakers, so helpful to have him in the mix as well.

General reading I've done, any number of folks have had positive results getting rid of their center channels (for whatever reason). In our case we have the need to do that as sending mid-range left side stereo signals to the right side footwell woofer is guaranteed to muddle stereo separation. To me, reprovisioning the center channel to create a proper right mid-bass woofer channel is a no brainer.

On the head unit, how is it that you know this center channel wizardry? In looking at the TIS, it seems to say that 4 channels come out of the head unit to the DSP. Here's the TIS description.

Here is the wiring out to the speakers, which was linked here before but the image is dead in the prior post.

(link to 676 HIFI speaker output schematic)

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 07-31-2017 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0