05-19-2020, 05:06 AM   #30
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The C7 appears to be pretty easy to work on too. I’ve seen the underside a few times and do my own oil changes, and there’s nothing complicated about the way the car’s laid out. From a mechanical standpoint, it’s not like working on Porsche’s and BMWs that’s for sure. All the coolant hoses, emissions hoses, oil lines etc are on simple hose lamps or quick connect fittings, and all the electronic plugs and harnesses are standard fare industry plugs with locking tabs.

Apparently it’s a “2 day” job to swap out the bottom end of the engine. It’s only taken so damn long because GM had to authorize the repairs. When I finally got a hold of the service writer, he sounded surprised that GM is asking for a repair instead of a replacement engine.

Either way, it’s been nearly 80 days since it’s entered the shop. Again, penny wise, pound foolish. If they simply authorized an engine replacement, we’re done in 2 weeks, I get my car back, and sure they would pay a little more in parts but less in labor, but at least they avoid the possibility of lemon law.

Plus I’d be far more inclined to hold a neutral or positive view towards GM products. At this point, after my experience with returning the lease on the Bolt and the ordeal with the Corvette, I’d be more inclined to buy a FCA product before I’ll consider GM, and my opinion of FCA products is pretty f**king low.

Having worked with GM as a supplier in the past, though, I shouldn’t be surprised at this. Let’s just say they have some brilliant engineering and product design minds that are severely hamstrung by a penny pinching corporate philosophy and an inept marketing team. Saving pennies on a part that would potentially cost MILLIONS in warranty claims is standard practice.

I hope it works out for you soon. You have had quite a hard time lately dealing with "car" things as I read the other thread about your dad.

I believe CA shutting down could have a lot to do with it....but maybe not. Even in the small town where I live, it's hard to get any outside people onsite or even just for menial tasks.

At our front office, if someone was called and they didn't know the answer...they could walk down the hall and find out from someone else. Now they have to call the person at their home office...and that's even if they are available. Turns a 10 minute situation into 3 days.

As I mentioned before, my Dealership has always been great. But I have bought numerous cars from the same one and I guess we have a good relationship. He would always call me when something new showed up that I might be interested in. And never gave me any issue when he knew I modded the car.

But I haven't visited them since all this mess broke out. So I don't know how they would be. My car is past it's warranty anyway...so anything I need now is up to me. But I don' understand why they just didn't offer a replacement engine. It's not like it's a hard item to find.

On the bright side...At least you have the M Coupe to keep you busy!