Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Hi all,
Had a bit of a disappointing day. Was going to get a stage 1 tune/ECU remap done for my 2012 E89 sdrive20i by a mobile mechanic and it all didn't go too well. I bought the car last Christmas and was hoping for a performance boost.

Here's my day then:
He read the ECU data, went away to combine it with his tune file.
When we came back, he said he will just write the ECU file back and should take 30mins tops. 1.5hrs later I went out to check and he said he was unable to write the modded file back. He said the file he had read was corrupted (?).
He wasn't more specific. Car didn't start anymore.
Then from his support he then received a "stock" E89 Z4 file and he was able to restore it to the ECU. He said he was using Alientech.
The car then started again. He then tried the tuned file again, it failed. So back to his stock file.
We went for a 20min test drive and everything seemed ok again. Then his support got back to him saying that they suspect the ECU might have been tuned by MHD before.

The whole thing took him pretty much from 10am to 4:30pm. And the longer it took, the more I got concerned about my car.

I'm still keen on a tune, so a few questions:
- First and foremost, what do you think the risk of using his stock ECU file is? He said it was from another E89 sdrive20i. So in theory all should be good?

- How can the ECU file read be corrupted? I didn't notice a performance difference after the restore of the stock ECU file, so doubt it has been tuned before (but not 100%).

- Any thoughts if it makes sense to approach another tuner?

Would be great to hear thoughts.

Cheers,
Thomas
Find another tuner. This one is clearly lost.
Appreciate 0