View Single Post
      09-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Focusing on coverage is just naive. Proper wireless design focuses on how many wireless clients are connected, what is the nature of the network traffic flowing over the wireless network, and the concentration of the wireless clients at any given physical location.

Some points to consider about wireless networks. The wireless NICs in mobile devices do not have the same transmit power as an AP/wireless router. Because of this, you may be seeing full bars on the wireless client but at the AP/wireless router, the signal from the wireless client will many times be marginal. As a reminder, network traffic is based on 2 way communication. In the above scenario, the data transmission will get to the wireless client at the best available performance, but the data transmission from the wireless client to the AP/wireless router will be subpar causing longer transmission times. Which follows into the next point about wireless networks. Wireless operates as a half duplex system. This means only one device can transmit on the RF space at any given time. The exception to this is multi user MIMO which only allows for multiple data transmissions from the AP to the client not vice versa. And both the AP and the wireless client must support multi user MIMO. So with the device transmitting at sub optimal wireless speeds (wireless speeds will drop as a function of distance and RF interference), this wireless client will hold up the entire wireless network operating on the AP/wireless router. No other device can transmit over the wireless network until this client is finished.

This is the reason why proper wireless networks are designed with multiple APs that focus on the points I gave in the first paragraph. And this is why you see multi mesh systems such as Google WiFi, Linksys Velop, Eero, and Netgear Orbi to name a few.

If you're not looking towards planning for and using multi-AP systems, you're living in the proverbial stone age with wireless technology and will always be chasing network performance.
Appreciate 0