View Single Post
      01-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not a flame, but your car seemed to have a surprising shit load of issues for the age and miles on it. Shifter cables? Bad DMF at 68,000 miles?
The 987 cars have an issue with the shifter cables due to the way the cables are run and are affixed to transmission. Most owners have to replace the cables around the 5-7 year mark or they run the risk of a cable snapping. The cable snapping issue was so common that about 5 years ago Porsche revised the cables, one of the cable mounting supports, and the transmission lever one of the cables attaches too. The independent mechanic that did the clutch was shocked that a 12 y/o Cayman with 70k miles was on the original cables. I laughed when he brought it to my attention as I too was shocked and knew the cables were on borrowed time.

Unfortunately the clutches in these cars don't last a long time and seeing that this car has had 4 owners prior to me, I'm not surprised the clutch was done. Same goes for the flywheel. Failure of the dual mass flywheel isn't a rare occurance in Porsches that are 10+ y/o either. Clutches and flywheels typically last 50k-100k miles.

But yeah, my Cayman pretty much had every common issue that ultimately happens to these cars. Clearly the owners before did the bare minimum to maintain the car. Interior and exterior wise, the car is in great shape. The car is now sorted for $1500 of my own money and I've enjoyed doing the work myself. The car is a very rare and unique spec, the color I wanted, and well within budget. With all the mods I want to do, I'll likely have about $42k into the car. I'm totally cool with that and I doubt I'll lose much money, if any, on the car.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-07-2023 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17315.00