View Single Post
      05-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #44
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I think it's just you "growing up" and coming to realize there's more to life than material things, like cars.

I've gotten into many car funks like you are in right now. And what I've learned at this point in my life is that expensive cars and the constant move to the next "better" thing (no matter what it is) does not and will not make me happy.

Case in point: I have a gen 1 V8 R8, and my neighbor recently got a gen 2 R8 (V10). He's redoing his driveway right now so the car is sitting outside in plain sight. I pass by it every day and get a hint of jealousy every time I see it. Until 5 seconds goes by and I realize I could afford a gen 2 if I really wanted it, but after thinking about it, my life would be 100% exactly the same if I traded mine in for a gen 2. Except I'd have about 100k less in my bank account. So what's the point?

There are ways to enjoy your car hobby without constantly trading cars. If you like driving, then a track car is definitely the way to go. It directs your car hobby into a new skill and still keeps you involved in the scene.

If it's modifying, why not buy a project car? A real project car, a chassis with no motor, try building something? Start with a generic LS swap so you gain some experience and then do something whacky later on. Keeps it interesting and keeps you invested in the hobby and motivated/engaged.

As for me, my enjoyment comes from washing/detailing cars. Gives me satisfaction and puts me in a great mood for the next 2-3 days. And the compliments I get for my clean cars are selfish little payoffs for the hours I spend detailing them.

If there's a takeaway from this, I'd say spend less time consuming and more time producing something. It's more fulfilling and at least for me, makes me happier because of it.
Wow, great post! A lot of wisdom here... which will likely be ignored unfortunately lol

The root of the OP’s concern is likely also why the divorce rate is so high nowadays, and most Americans have tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

Popular culture always has you chasing the next, selling you the next... instead of pushing you to find contentment where you are.

Last edited by Biginboca; 05-06-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
Humdizzle6042.00