02-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #25
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Good news and BAD

Quick review with photos to follow.

First for the BAD: the FMIC is not yet on. Stett made two new brackets modified from the 3 series bracket and one more must be cut from the Machine Shop for the final product. The car will go back in next week for the final fitment and then we will have something truly awesome. Also, the Cold Air just cannot fit no matter how hard they tried - it gets way too tight upfront to make it work without doing some major modification - this sucks but I will live. Does anyone have a great intake filter for the stock airbox??? BMC maybe? Are there any other good alternatives other than dual cones - I refuse to suck hot engine bay air into the system; that defeats the FMIC for goodness sake.

Second, the GOOD: Eisenmann 2x90 Race Exhaust is on and it sounds great - especially when you have your foot jammed in it and the gears change. Is it worth $3,100? For my wife, yes, and I love it too. The sound is melodic to us. Plus, it looks way better all polished up bright stainless mufflers and tips not to mention a significant weight loss. I really hated the way the stock exhaust cans hung down and were ugly visible flat, dirty metal. I know, I know, if I do not post pics it did not happen.

Third, ESS tune: AMAZING, you should all buy it now. It is definitely more power but that is only a small part of the story. The main difference is that the small amount of "lag" that was present at starts and heavy throttle application is COMPLETELY GONE. The engine purrs, the throttle is sensitive but very manageable, and the responsiveness is awesome - BMW should pay ESS for this tune; why can't the awesome Germans do this from the go? This is the best $ for $ purchase for the car - combined with the Eisenmann exhaust - KILLER.

Fourth, Stett Charge/Dual Diverter Pipe: looks really cool as my wife wanted hers powder coated red. It sits under the stock airbox for all of you wondering like I was as a mechanical stump. Again, pics to follow. The super cool thing about this pipe is that it has the inlets for methanol included on the pipe. I do not think we will run methanol as, even for us, that is over the top, but with the Charge Pipe it would be simple, cheap, and add crazy power.

Look, this set up with the FMIC, which is soon to come will be ridiculous - it already is and when we burn our first Porsche or Corvette, I will let you know.

Finally, once the FMIC is on, I doubt that 1 series on this site that claims to be the fastest N54 around will still be true. With these products and the DCT, watch the heck out. I will not drag this car and tear it up but a head to head with a 1 series would be fine.
Appreciate 0