Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone_ttlz4 View Post
What have people told dealers when they've gone in with a cracked wheel? The MB dealer i took my car to to get non-RFT mounted advised me that there is a hairline crack (forming?) in one of my rear wheels.

I have an appointment to take my car in on Monday to get it checked out. I just bought this car on the 5th and it was CPO'ed. Since I knew these wheels were so prone to cracking, I've been really careful about how I drive which leads me to believe it was there or already forming when I got the car.

What a pain....
They will check the wheel on the tire mounting machine they have. Apparently the machine has a instrument (similar to a Dial Indicator) that will measure Total Indicator Runout (TIR). Apparently the BMW tolerance for a alloy wheel to be out off roundness (as measured by the instrument [dial indicator like tool]) is 3.2 mm or 1/8"

If it exceeds this they will tell you the wheel is bend! They will further tell you that you went thru Pot Holes. If there is no evidence to the fact that you did go thru a major pothole then you should argue that point with them.

If your dealer is a good one then they will change your wheel having a hairline crack without any questions.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck

Rolf

PS. Also note that other members have had there wheels changed without any issues when they had hairline cracks. Search this forum for more posts on "296 wheel cracks" also note that some members reported they got a improved design wheel ... you can find the posts if you search. Finally should the dealer tell you you gone thru a pot hole ask him on what he bases this conclusion and for him to show you the evidence i.e damage on your wheel, also ask them whey the front wheel is not cracked only the rear? I hope you don't have any issues with your dealer.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 02-18-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0