Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbb View Post
he suspects the runflats' stiff sidewall to absorb impact shocks less efficiently and in combination with a "weaker" rim like the 296 causes cracks.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts exactly think of it like a paper clip bending it gentle or harder and faster or slower ... will eventually crack the paper clip.

Same for the 296 while a sharp looking wheel in my opinion going over bumps builds up stress within the wheel (as your friend suspects due to the stiffer side wall of the RFT). I take it a step further ... the stiff RFT side wall, the negative camber (2.5 degree negative on the Z4) ... going over road imperfections and bumps yes even pot holes will result in stresses ... stress has to release some place some time ... like the paper clip it will result in cracks ...

first hairline cracks (at this stage you must return to BMW) then the crack opens up (it be too late for BMW will tell you ... you bend the wheel by going thru pot holes).

Those my friend are my thoughts

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0