View Single Post
      08-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #128
Paolo B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw z4 sdive30i

Hi Robi, thanks for the expert advice, I really appreciate it. What you are recommending makes complete sense to me and is consistent with my own belief. I've been confused by BMW's recommendation to first replace the hydraulic unit and then if that doesn't solve the problem to replace the right cylinder. I don't want to spend money needlessly and hence my reluctance to act up to this point. The total job cost US $1914.91 (see statement attached). The job was supposed to cost more because they initially quoted me on the 2008 harness price but when it came in they realized it was the wrong part so I had to wait an extra week to get the correct part then when they realized it cost more, they honoured the original quoted part price. If they only used part of the harness and I paid for it, they should be providing to me, the left-over parts. You mention that I have a couple of new hoses but I believe some pieces are still missing. Can you advise which ones as I'd like to ask the dealership for them. It appears to me that the left side hoses, like the ones that they replaced on the right side, are missing. I checked the two long ones in the picture and those two are ruptured so must be the ones they replaced so it can't be either of those. Your advice is appreciated. We do not have any independent BMW repair shops in my community but a good friend of mine is a retired GM mechanic and has a shop at his house and has worked on my car and he already had a look at the problem and his opinion was that it was in fact the cylinder. I believe he should be able to do the job for me. Regarding the instructions you provided, I took a look at the instructions on new TIS and they don't advise to remove the roof shell. Are the new TIS instructions correct? Also, regarding your recommendation to install four new o-rings, are those specific BMW parts or can I purchase any o-rings of that size? Regarding you doing the job, it has actually crossed my mind. I may be going to Italy next weekend for 2 weeks and I typically go every year. I retire next year and am thinking about shipping my car over as we may go for 2 or 3 months. We typically spend part of our time in Italy in Bologna and its only a 5 hour drive to Munich. My nephew works for Lamborghini by the way and I've toured the factory. Its a piece of art! Thanks for the information on how to post pictures and your general advice. By the way, are you an automotive engineer? Paolo

Name:  20190803_072918.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  405.8 KB
Appreciate 0