View Single Post
      08-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #127
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Ok and thanks, now I understand the video and of course, can see the malfunction of the roof.

On the 2nd picture the upper harness is a brand new part(!) of the complete Z4 roof harness. As described earlier, you can identify it by the "45 degree tape area" on the right. The lower part seems to be cut off anywhere.

What did they charge for this partial replacement, as you had to pay the complete expensive harness anyway?

The key pic from your video:
Name:  Video01.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  109.4 KB

With seal behavior on higher average temperatures Klaus from TopHydraulics has much more experience.

In Germany we dont't have issues with the hydraulic cylinders up to now. But Klaus told me about it on the phone, that the US Z4's (ok, Canadian in your case) will earlier run into these problens.

I assume, there is a problem with the hydraulic cylinders in the roof shell and I recommend to get both replaced (always replace parts of the roof symmetrically!!).

AFAIK TopHydraulics charges 200 bucks for a single refurbished one. BMW has rised the prices for new hydgraulic cylinders month ago and we have to pay about 600 EUR for a new one.

Replacing the cylinders is quite easy and should be done in about 2 hours by someone, who's already experience with that roof.

- remove the rear roof shell by removing 6 screws mounted with loctite, so each one must be heated to loosen
- replace these 6 screws by new ones, there is a BMW set for about 25 EUR available
- take 4 new O-rings 3.4x1.0 mm (alternatively you can use 3.3x1.0 mm as well) for the 4 hydraulic hoses to be unmounted off the cylinders
- replace both cylinders and a couple of tie zips
- remount everything

I can do that for you on your next Z4 trip to Germany. :

By the way, you can add multiple pics to one single post using the attachment manager!

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 08-03-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0