09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
wmandra
Track Addict
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i, 2014 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Bill,

Thanks for the quick response! Sounds like this isn't your first rodeo. We appreciate all your knowledge and thanks for sharing!

Im happy to see someone build a proper suspension to harness the N54.

I have a question about LSD. If you switch to an M3 LSD would you also have to change to a 1M program? Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't the e89 have a computer controlled diff, while the M diff is mechanical? Would the ecu need to be modded to keep the system, engine power delivery and traction, in harmony? I worry the stock program and mechanical diff would fight each other with the computer cutting power. This is all speculation by the way.

I think your suspension set up, with fmic, upgraded oil cooler, ecu tune, and LSD would make for an incredible self made Z4M.

Thanks again!
Jake

Jake,
The M3 diff isn't an option, but aftermarket ones from either Quaife or Wavetrac are. No mods to the ECU would be necessary as the EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) on the Z4 is controlled by the DSC system. Essentially EDL uses the brakes to control wheelspin and "simulate" an LSD. Its actually a pretty good system, not as fast limiting spin as a mechanical unit, but better than a normal open diff like on the 3 series. EDL is so good that I'm not likely to upgrade mine for an LSD anytime soon.
I should point out that my car is the N20 motor with a JB4 Stage 2 and upgrading the FMIC is on my winter todo list. Upgrading the oil cooler is not necessary on this engine - even when pushing the car extremely hard on the track oil temps remained reasonable (way better than the N52). I've also installed a BMS oil catch can though as the stock setup does let enough oil into the vent hose pre turbo that it could cause issues.

Bill
Driver, Ratchet Head Racing #93 BMW Z4
Club Organizer, Garden State Euros Motorsport Division
2014 Glacier Silver Z4 28i M Sport - See the build thread: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950367
Appreciate 1