11-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #783
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Well, since you're so enthusiastic about EVs, technically GM went backwards when they shelved the EV1 and decided to stop developing EVs in favor of their all ICE lineup. I'd also argue that the overall disposability and design-to-fail mentality that many cars are made with today is a step backwards. Has it given us cheaper vehicles? Sure, but they're hardly made to last. And no, I am not arguing that engines used to be better in the carbureted days back when you had to check and add oil at every other gas stop because machining tolerances and material science was not what it is today. I'm talking about the forgoing of the 90s Mercedes mentality of "let's engineer the finest car we can" to "how can we make the most profit while yielding the minimum longevity that the customer can stomach?. You could argue Toyota and Honda aren't doing this, to some extent, but even they are not immune.

But I wasn't talking about going backwards in technology in terms of performance, I was talking about going backwards from owning ALL of your car (for as long as it is yours) to leasing/renting everything right down to certain features. That is a step backwards, in my mind.

I do not own multiple cars, and with the way the economy is going, selling EVs on the fact that they make great second cars is not going to expedite their adoption at the rate that is needed. GM just announced that they will not see returns on any of their EV lineup until 2025, other companies are on a similar time line I'm sure. Anyways, getting into the weeds a bit. I think we'll have to agree to disagree until all this shakes out. I'm not opposed to EVs as an option - if they fit your lifestyle by all means have at it. But it's not the best for everyone, nor do I think it will be in our lifetimes.
But gm promises an all ev lineup in 2035? How is that going backwards?

Are you talking about when they first introduced the volt? Or bolt or whatever that old model was called? Yeah their technology wasn’t up to par back then it only made sense to back out of something they know nothing about.

When Tesla came on board everyone laughed at them. Even Ford. And now look at them, they’re playing catch up to Tesla.

You’re right it doesn’t fit everyone’s lifestyle, I wasn’t saying it did.

But as time moves foward we adapt. That’s how our species work. We adapt.