Thread: Career Help
View Single Post
      08-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'm going to be blunt here. When you're breaking into a new field, you can't be picky. It's all about getting experience. Physical security is not even remotely the same as cyber security. So very little of the knowledge and experience you have gained will translate. The key when trying to make a wholesale career change is to get what you can get to get your foot in the door.

From a Cyber standpoint, there are a bunch of different focus areas as Cyber itself is pretty broad. I don't know what certificates you got and from where. But if you're serious about getting into security, I'd not waste your time with the quick certificates and go after getting a CISSP certification. This cert carries weight in the Cyber world as a baseline. From there if you want to get into something that will carry you into the future as a long term career, you need to get into classes that will teach you cloud security. The 800lb gorilla in the room is AWS (Amazon Web Services). There are a few online sites which will provide quality training and help you get ready for the various AWS certification exams. If you're looking to be able to be 100% remote, get yourself cloud expertise. Two places that have quality classes are:

acloudguru.com
udemy.com

If you want to stick with your current experience and technical capabilities with physical security, I would look into getting in with some sort of Defense contractor. The problem is you'll likely will have to travel and most probably there will be overseas deployments.
Appreciate 1