View Single Post
      09-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I took a variety of photos today, working with Barry. I'll post some of them now, and others later when I hit subjects. It was a long day, not to mention I seem to have come down with some kind of cold, which took the juice out of my system. We are shooting for the car going to the exhaust fabricator this Wednesday, so getting key things buttoned up was critical, such as being able to get the heat shields back on.

We've been fighting the UUC shifter installation. With all the right pieces in hand were able to get it installed, though we had to trim the 6 screws that hold the cup together, as they hit the shifter ball, when installed. No biggie. Another issue we had is the rear bushing that holds the shift platform to the chassis kept popping out when we installed the shifter knob. Between Barry and I we've probably done this on 50-100 cars, neither having ever had that problem. Had nothing to do with UUC's shifter mind you. Pulled the shields again and tweeked the hold-down. Here's what the shifter assembly should look like (the cup to the right is the original one which did not work on my 2011 Z4)

I previously mentioned the RTABs being different. Here's a photo of the Z4 (wider) RTAB versus E46 M3 RTAB which can be used with limiters.

Here's the H&R sway bar with stock BMW linkage. In the middle setting you can see that the bar almost kisses the half shaft. We'll solve that with our own rod end setup soon; we're just waiting on Barry to machine two spacers.

While I was down there, just a quick snap of the MFactory Helical LSD installed.

Finally on suspension, here are the E92 M3 front arms, and the AKG spherical tension strut bearing which we installed in the Z4 tension strut. Note the E92 M3 passenger arm needs the Z4 leveling connector attached to it. This has been covered elsewhere on the forum so I won't discuss it here.