Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
But the Explorer ..

is one of the best selling nameplates of all time
has a "future" / "adventure" connotation, a mustang is a wanderer or stray
begins with the letter "E"

Same can be said in a lesser case for the Explorer or Edge, so why whore out the Mustang name on an SUV?
Because the Mustang name carries weight with the target EV audience Ford is trying to reach that doesn't really place much importance on the Mustang you're thinking of, which is the GT, Cobra, Shelby, GT350, etc. Those variants came much later than the 1962 Falcon-based secretary's car. If we are to believe the tea leaves and everything eventually goes electric, the Mach-E sets the stage for a BEV Mustang coupe. The Edge and Explorer just don't have the gravitas of the Mustang nameplate.

Is using the name Mustang any worse than BMW using the name i3, or 330e? The i3 was much farther distant from the legendary 3-Series than the Mustang Mach E is from the legendary Mustang. At least Ford kept it RWD (it could have gone FWD) and offers a high-performance variant under the GT moniker. The i3? LoL. A Greenie ass-kissing enviro eucalyptus wood/milk jug recycled EV. The i4? Same difference.

I just don't understand why this upsets people so much, especially BMW owners that wouldn't give a Ford a second look.

Besides, Volt, Bolt, Ampera, Ampera-e, Electra, and EV1 were already taken.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-01-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 2