View Single Post
      03-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It's not JUST contempt. It's physics. The batteries get less efficient as they age, and overloading them will cause problems with the batteries like expansion and maybe even venting. Remember the samsung phones catching fire? By the ios slowing down for older batteries, this is exactly what apple was trying to prevent.

The outrage is a bit convoluted people are mad that they devices are slowing down. They are right, but Apple is actually doing something right slowing them down. Who wants their iphones to catch fire? This is a good safety "feature".
Yes, it's a feature, because Samsung didn't have it and their phones caught fire.

Apple's problem is that they did not fully inform consumers what it had been doing for years. A negative side effect being that consumers felt tricked into upgrading because they thought their devices were slowing down because they were getting more obsolete, which was not true: they could have just replaced their batteries for $79. Shame on Apple for that.

What apple should have done is what they are doing now, informing the consumer and making it relatively easy and affordable to replace the battery. No, having a removable battery is not the solution, because a big part of what makes the iphone an iphone is the form factor. Equipping an iphone with a removable battery slot would destroy that. I think the $29 solution is pretty good. $15 would be better, but, hey, it's still Apple and they still have APPL to think about.

In summary, Apple did the right thing protecting against overloaded batteries, but they took advantage of it by not informing the consumer which influenced more upgrades/sales. Yes, I think slowing down the ios is a good idea with older batteries, so long as replacing them brings it up to speed again. Apple needs to be more transparent when it comes to these issues so that consumer trust is maintained. No, replaceable batteries are not the answer, and not slowing down the ios is not the answer. Affordable and convenient battery replacements are the answer.
Thank you. So many tin foil hat wearers out there.

Just slapped a new battery in my iPhone. Cost $10 and took me 20 mins. Some people......
Appreciate 0