KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowlingtuna View Post
Hello!

I'm in the market for an e89 (30i or 35i) so I'm basically here doing research at the moment.

I do have a question; for those that live in climates with winter (real winter with ice and/or snow), do you store the car or drive it?

If you store it, what do you typically do (for the car itself)?
If you drive it, do you use winter tires, do you only drive on dry days?

Thanks
For me my Z4 is a daily and i do drive it in winter aswell.. though i do limit how much i drive it then. In heavy snow i try to not drive it as my car is lower than stock car and if roads are not cleared and there is considerable hump in the middle of the road it would rub under the car. Driving in snow is fun, drifting around and so on but it does come with cosmetic damage. Drifting in snow resulted in smashing paint off from rear bumper wheelwell edge. also sideskirts got some marks that would not buff out. I basically went and repainted half my car after that. Maybe ceramic coating would help. I used to use wax before, but this spring after paint correction i finally went ceramic coating route to protect it (Nasiol ZR53). Will see how it holds up next winter.
So if you can keep it in storage in the winter i suggest you do it. Get a beater car, use it and sell it in spring for example... and get your money back.

I use winter tires, OEM 17inch bmw wheel package and have studless winter tires(Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+).