View Single Post
      08-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrisM View Post
My 2022 G82 order was canceled so I’m ending up with the 2023. I was told all G80/82/87 after July 2022 will have the new idrive 8. Personally, I don’t like it for a mid to high end performance car but I appreciate your conundrum. In my opinion, performance cars deserve a separate gauge cluster and that’s my main issue with it. I don’t think it adds anything special to the M cars as it was initially designed for the EVs and quite honestly that’s where it belongs, imo.
This is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. Is there anything inherently wrong with iD8? Well, it does kind of look lazy and tacked on the dash... but no, the OS itself is fine. It's that, in a sports car, it doesn't make sense. The car isn't self driving so having things nested behind a touch screen doesn't make sense. Tesla gets away with it because thats what their clients want, plus Tesla's arent really sports cars more than cars with strong low end torque. People love all the autonomous stuff and playing with their screens there. But for an actual sports car, to give people the iPad/android experience so in your face, without even a hood to differentiate the gauge cluster... I think BMW jumped the gun putting this in every car, and they absolutely did this to cut costs of having to maintain multiple interior configurations.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1312.50