View Single Post
      10-19-2023, 03:15 PM   #31
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDKT View Post
Nice. How does the F90 compare to your upgraded E90 in terms of "fun factor" driving? If you could have your E90 with a SC kit, would you consider swapping back into it?
I tuned the E90 M3 and also had a water/meth kit on it that increased ignition timing when the meth was flowing. I thought about Schrick cams, a stroker motor or a supercharger. Very mixed reviews on strokers in terms of durability, particularly for track use. The positive displacement supercharger looked interesting but would have changed the character of the car and one mercurial guy controls the tuning. A centrifugal was likely the way I would have gone if I kept the car. But that can reduce reliability and you still have to drive the car hard to access the power — centrifugal adds roughly the square root of peak boost at half peak rpm and makes peak boost only at peak rpm. A 9 psi kit makes 9 psi at 8400 rpm and 3 psi at most at 4200 rpm. I had a centrifugal on my E36 M3 but changed to a turbo after a few years and like that more. I kept the turbo E36 M3 and sold the modded E90 M3.

I also wanted AWD to put the power down more of the time. I had 18x9.5/10.5 wheels on the E90 M3 and ran both 285/35/18 and 295/30/18 rear tires (295/30 makes the 3.85 like a 4.10) but still had traction issues with PSS street tires. With more power from a supercharger, traction would be worse. If I lived in a warm dry area, I could have used stickier rubber but I am in the Northeast. I had snow wheels as well for the winter.

I did think about keeping the E90 M3 and adding a 991.2 911 Turbo. In hindsight, I am happy with my choice. I would not have driven the 911 as much since it is not as practical. Ideally, I would have the F90 M5 or a Cayenne Turbo plus a 991.2 or 992 911 Turbo but would rather not spend that much money send my wife has a 21 Cayenne S that I can use.

Bottom line, I thought about it, but 10 years with the E90 M3 was good enough. It does have personality that the F90 M5 does not have and it sounded better. But the F90 M5 is so much more comfortable, more practical and higher performing that I have no regrets.

We are fortunate to have issues like this to resolve. For you, I know you want a RWD V8 manual, but you already have one you like and seem like you would be content with it if you put a little money in it. Maybe keep it and buy a later model 911 with manual?
Appreciate 0