View Single Post
      10-09-2021, 04:14 AM   #57
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
Really? The real issue is that nobody listens, not today not 30 years ago!
Everyone wants to take a pill(s) and forget about the necessary lifestyle changes.
Trust me it's a losing battle.
And don't get me started on "Drinking and smoking is my God-given right!"
Smoking-related illness alone in the US is a $300+ billion taxpayer burden.

Back to the point of this post.
SARS-CoV-2 doesn't care about your age, underlying conditions, or how in or out of shape you are.
I've seen 90-year-olds with minor symptoms and 20-year-olds that are serious athletes die.
There's some yet to be determined element of the virus that impacts the severity of the illness. Clearly, the mutations have a significant impact but there's something else. A good guess would be the viral load but I'm not certain.
If you're not vaccinated you playing with fire.
You bring up an interesting point and something I have witnessed that no one is talking about. Hard core athletes that CrossFit or people that train really hard along with long distance runners often have very high levels of oxidative stress. Oxygen debt can occur and when anaerobic metabolism starts, so does the increase in free radical production. That does not go well with COVID and they would be at increased risk for complications. Exercise is a good thing as it improves circulation, but there is a fine line between working out too much and not enough. I have actually stopped lifting weights until I can get a better grasp on what is going on. I would advise light to moderate workouts.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00