cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Found this while browsing:

FYI from the British National Health system:

There's currently no screening programme for prostate cancer in the UK. This is because it has not been proved that the benefits would outweigh the risks.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prosta...r/psa-testing/

It seems like the U.S. medical community is modifying the guidance on prostate screening, moving toward the UK example. Lots to read online about this if you search for it.

I view the UK, Germany and Japan as good benchmark countries for overall health management. They have similar, and in many cases better, health outcomes as the U.S., and with far lower cost expended in the entire system.
Well, when the UK suspended PSA screening completely, it experienced in increase of patients being diagnosed with more advanced stages when they were tested due to symptoms. So PSA screening in itself is not the problem.

The problem is noted on that page, in regard to over diagnosis, and over treatment of patients who would fair just as well with AS, rather than action. Much of the culpability could be assigned to the medical industry, but the patient also needs to accept their part as well.

Every person should understand that nobody will advocate for their care better than themselves. With the Advent of the Internet, these days, there's no excuse to not have at least an introductory understanding of what's going on. There are plenty of websites out there to walk you through the issue, here with Prostate Cancer, like the NCCN website and others. They have a patient Guideline that will walk you through Prostate Cancer from symptoms to diagnosis and treatment.

But back to PSA testing, it is an invaluable tool, when used properly! But individual health and other biometrics play in to it huge! Family history as well... Like for instance if you dad or uncle have had it, you're 75% more likely to as well. So many tests are available today to accompany an elevated PSA that would lend to providing a more accurate diagnosis, as noted, the blood biopsy, genetic screening, sensitive imaging such as PSMA-PET scans, etc. And if an invasive test is needed for tissue samples, the 3D multi-parametric MRI is most accurate (biopsy). This tissue should then be gentic tested and immunohistochemistry tested as well... And once you have some of these tests in hand, there's no reason NOT to have them receive a 2nd opinion, especially from doctors not invested in the treatment plan!

These tests will all paint an absolute picture (combined) providing an accurate Staging and Prognosis for the patient that would provide the best basis for decisions on treatments!

I won't post my situation here in regard to how I'm so familiar with this all, just know I'm in the deep end of the pool and have been swimming here for some time!

So... If you have family history #1, then yes, you should incorporate PSA testing into your physical exams. DRE tests too. If any suspicion exists, then go cautiously! Know that PCa is one of, if not the, slowest moving cancers there is. So this affords time to not only educate yourself before making a decision, but to find the very best care accessible to you. This typically is found at Major Cancer Center's and those rated in Excellence! Travel if you must! They actually performed a study some years back that supports the fact that the best results for patients was obtained from care by Oncologist's with the most experience! So if you hear those words "Cancer" and you have it, forget local facilities or doctors, they can't compete! And run to the experts!

Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
chassis6537.50