View Single Post
      09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
jc-e89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4 35i

Exhaust mods = a MUST?? After 2 years with 3D Design exhausts

While most people will agree the stock exhausts are "OK/GOOD" for the 35i/is, I wondered what our opinions are on aftermarket exhausts?

I've had the 3D Design exhausts on my Z for 2 years now and I have to say, it was the best thing that I've done. At a cost of over $7000, it wasn't cheap, but easily worth every cent. (There are heaps of cheaper options out there though, that will do just the same)

The sound it makes is just sensational. Over time, it's developed a really deep growl, and lately, it started making this bad-ass gurgle that scares the passengers/passerby's/me.

Also the Z being twin turbo, the opened up airflow greatly improves the performance. Take a look at the ridiculous narrowing in the stock exhaust pipes in the attached pic (left), c.f. the 3D Design (right)! The dealership often asks me if my Z is 'chipped' as it drives very differently. I put it down to the exhausts..

I hope this post doesn't get perceived as a 'self pat on the back', but rather an encouragement for more Z4 owners to seriously consider exhaust mods as a very effective and substantially gratifying mod, that won't hurt warranties or reliability issues, all the while significantly boosting the performance and driveability of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0