View Single Post
      08-12-2023, 06:22 PM   #13
Sachak
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i sDrive DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Guess ill do some testing when the intercooler from B21 arrives. I think it should be in Estonian customs today. So ill maybe have it on monday or tuesday... I still have OEM airbox in storage so ill swap them back and forth and see how it feels... Maybe even do some logs or acceleration testing.

The argument for slow stop and go traffic say a traffic jam doesnt bother me at all... you cant do strong accelerations, use power in a traffic jam anyway

i do get the argument for a dragstrip idling before a run where milliseconds matter. That is a valid point imo.

For my use case..
1) driving around the town ( town that only has 3-4 traffic lights so i rarely have to stop)
2) highway runs
3) winding backroad runs
i dont really see a problem.

Also if its such a big issue, then why doesnt anyone apart from DINAN offer a closed cold air intake? we have alot of dualcones AFE, BMS, VRSF, ARM, Magnum etc... but nobody offers an intake with piping to the front grilles..
Saying idling around in traffic argument doesn't stand but the one about idling before a drag strip does is ridiculous to be perfectly honest. Just because a certain situation doesn't bother you because you may live in a quite little town means nothing to the rest of the modding community. The fact is that sticking two cone filters in the middle of a hot engine bay with zero shielding yields very hot temps and over a relatively short time heat soaks the entire engine. Weather it bothers you or not is irrelevant, the argument is that it does happen. I am not trying to attack your car or your situation or you and I am certainly not making it personal, I am just stating facts as I literally tested this with logs on a hot day to prove a point.

The facts are as follows:
  • WGDC DOES NOT GO UP...THUS the stock airbox is not a restriction under a certain power level...Once you fit bigger turbos and reach certain power levels then obviously it will become a restriction but there are other variables involved, I.e. High flow silicon inlets vs stock inlets. I ran inlets with the stock box and found the WGDC to stay the same vs DCI with inlets...proving once again that the stock airbox wasn't a restriction for me....But I will reiterate again that I was running water methanol and a ton of it too! so air density would thus obviously increase. All of this is simple physics.
  • IAT's go through the flipping roof after the 3rd run and onwards from there THUS power is lost, You can easily see this in the timing corrections the car starts to make as the intake temps get hotter and hotter because a detonation event starts getting closer and closer to happening, the engine thus protects itself by pulling the timing back...The physics behind this are unfortunately real...The hotter the air is the less dense it is, and the more likely you can get knock/detonation.
    The less dense the air is going into your engine the less power you make, Just like when we flight plan before going on a flight we check ambient air temps and humidity as this effects aircraft performance and heavily effects take off and climbing performance.

You can't argue these points because it doesn't affect you personally in a very specific situation or say that you can't do hard pulls in a traffic jam anyways, there are far too many variables you aren't taking into account here. To give just a small example, you goto a midnight racing event with DCI, you run a car maybe once or twice, then go line up to race again, while waiting in the queue to race again which is moving your car is heat soaking like you can't believe, If you have the stock airbox this doesn't happen, not to the same extent at all. Once you get to the start line and you try race, your car now ingests a monumental amount of hot air which obviously negatively affects performance, and after that race your car is now further heat soaked to the point where if you had to do another race and check your logs you would then realize how badly that setup affects performance by the sheer amount of timing corrections you will see and how hot the intake temps are. That's just one example!

And to answer your last point about why all these companies make DCI options instead of plumbing through the front of the engine bay to get a pair of DCI into the bumper cavity....Well that is infinitely easy to answer, none of these companies want to or care to cut into the front bumper support assembly to get pipes through there. I said it can be done, I never said it would be simple. Unfortunately on the E89 it is anything but easy to get a pipe into there from the engine bay. It would require a substantial amount of planning and a fair bit of cutting through metal and plastics as well as building a custom set of intakes!

I didn't come here to argue and have forum wars, just to state my findings, that is all and to help other people to make informed decisions.
Appreciate 0