11-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #33
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlai View Post
my car is a used 2010 3.5i DCT. Since I bought it a few months ago, I noticed some weird mechanical noise from time to time but I read some posts saying newer BMW always had some weird noise and so I didnt pay any attention. Once, I stepped the gas to floor during a spirit drive up a sloped road using full automatic shifting in sports mode, and I noticed the rpm fluctuated slightly but noticeably enough. It felt like something was holding back the rpm. First, I thought it might be a software problem of my ESS ECU upgrade. After some research, I decided to golf tee the exhaust following these posts. All noise problem and rpm holding back seems to be got now. After a month try, I also felt though I may be wrong that some if the acceleration hesitation problem got too. However, the car seems to take longer to warm up.
Buddy, there is just no way that the golf tee mod is having the effects you are describing! Please understand that the exhaust flap is mainly there to make the car more quiet during cruising (something I appreciate alot after having installed decatted midpipes btw). It simply cannot change the way the engine behaves or warms up unless you did something else as well.

If you experience "something" holding back the rpm it is most likely traction control kicking in!

You should see a yellow light flashing in the dash when it happens. I think the OEM tires don't make much noise when wheelspin is present so you might not notice unless you look at the dash. Have you seen the flashing yellow symbol I am talking about? If you floor it, especially with ESS, you will probably experience wheel spin at most speeds below 80kmh unless the road surface is top notch. And in normal/sport mode the traction control is so aggressive that you might not hear or even feel the rear tires break traction.
Appreciate 0