View Single Post
      10-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Again, many thanks for the suggestions. There are a few (very few) areas here with serious off-road biking trails, but I won't be using them. But one place I will ride is an old railbed that got converted into a bike/horse/hiking trail. Parts of that trail are dirt or grass covered. Hence my desire for something that will handle non-paved areas.

The CX bikes sound perfect. I'll make sure I get the right tires. The local bike shop gets high marks from clients, so hopefully they have someone there who wants to sell me the right bike for me and not the bike the sales manager is pushing. If not, I'll go elsewhere. I have no problem telling sales reps good-bye.

I was going to ask about apps for tracking, but I figured there must be a bunch out there. I have a couple of Garmins and Google maps can be sent to an iPhone, so that shouldn't be an issue. I know these roads anyway, so it's not like I'm going to get lost. I've already mapped out 10 and 20 mile routes that barely touch a major road. The biggest threat here are the yahoos who race up and down the farm roads in pickup trucks. We've had them blast by us at 60MPH+ when we're out walking sometimes. Not enough sense to slow down just a bit while they pass us. That's especially fun when the road is newly chipped.

Thanks again, all. I'll post back when I get something. Then you can tell me whether I screwed up or not.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0